Privacy breach. Let it go, or escalate complain?

Initially I was annoyed but I was trying to get support on a bunch of other issues (still am) so I convinced myself to not say anything. In the end I mentioned it but didn’t make a big fuss over it.

Basically, like 3 years ago, when I was going to be in the hospital and not able to access my emails for a month, I gave my mother’s email and number as contact if they needed to send something (was fighting my denial). I don’t think they ended up having to use it and that was that.

Until a few months ago, I got an email from an agent in response to questions I’d sent and I noticed there was another email in the cc field. I saw right away that it was supposed to be my mother’s email but it wasn’t because there was a typo.

I was confused why all of a sudden they would cc her out of nowhere and when I went through emails from the past few months, I found another email with the same cc with a typo from a different agent.

So basically, they potentially sent secure mail, private information to a random person. Twice.

Would you see this as serious enough to pursue or just let it go?

Well, there are two potentially serious issues. Your private info may be going somewhere it shouldn’t, and probably even riskier to losing your ongoing benefits if you end up out of touch, it’s not going to where it should be. So yes I would raise the issue for immediate correction.

1 Like

Yes, when I brought it up I was told that it was corrected and wouldn’t happen going forward. I just wasn’t sure if it was something I should be bringing up as a more “formal” complaint, or if leaving it alone after they say it won’t happen again makes more sense.

I just feel like shouldn’t it be documented somewhere that this breach happened. Twice. Or I’m overreacting? Lol

I would want it documented in case you’re in hospital and they contact your mom at the wrong email. I would probably send a formal letter for just that reason…

It’s possible the other email is not even a person if it bounces.
I would try it out.