OSAP while on ODSP

Anyone know how the OSAP grant for a disabled person works? I just spoke to someone on the general line through OSAP and they were rather rude with answering questions, telling me that it’s general knowledge. He told me that if I apply for the grant and don’t finish the term, then the grant needs to be paid back. But I asked him isn’t there a difference between the grant and loans? Do grants need to be paid back? How would a person on ODSP be able to pay back a grant dollar for dollar. It doesn’t make sense. I wished to apply for the grant only. Is this true, do grants need to be paid back if the term is not completed at school? Or do they need to be paid back after school is completed?

https://www.google.com/search?channel=fs&client=ubuntu&q=osap+and+odsp

If you get financial support through the Ontario Disability Support Program ( ODSP ), you can also apply for OSAP . OSAP is meant to help cover your educational costs: tuition fees.

I thought osap was all loans, no idea.
Good luck.

@jammer I believe through the government they also provide the grants.

So I just googled and found this:

“Normally, OSAP grants are money you don’t need to pay back.

However, all or part of your OSAP grants may be converted into a loan if:

• you withdraw from studies or stop taking the minimum course load within the first 30 days of starting school and don’t return as a full-time student within 5 months in the same academic year
  • as a result of an OSAP reassessment, you’re not entitled to all or part of the grant that you received (e.g., dropped courses, unreported income)
  • the income provided by you and/or your family cannot be verified within one year from the start of your studies. (This applies only to your Ontario Student Grant.)”
1 Like

Thank you! this was really helpful. There is just so much to sift through. So I see the customer rep was correct. It does convert to a loan if student withdraws or drops courses. I am confused by what this means…"the income provided by you and/or your family cannot be verified within one year from the start of your studies. (This applies only to your Ontario Student Grant.)”

It means if you don’t file your paperwork (taxes) and give them permission to look at it.