MQP and qualifying years

I am having a hard time understanding MQP (minimum qualifying period) even after spending quite a bit of time looking into it.

Here is my situation:
My date of onset of disability is probably sometime between April and August of 2022. I was struggling badly since around April taking lots of sick/vacation days here and there, until I stopped working in August. I have been on STD and then LTD since I stopped working.

Questions:

• I have logged into my My Service Canada Account> CPP> Contributions, and can see all my contributions, but how can I tell which years are qualifying years where I have paid the minimum contribution amount? I thought before (around a year ago when I last looked into this) that somewhere it clearly indicated whether it was a qualifying year or not, but I can’t find it anymore.

• What is the deadline for me to apply for CPP-D? I am thinking it 's probably end of this year, but am rather nervous it may have been end of last year.

Thanks in advance.

This is a complicated area. In order to meet the MQP requirements, your disability onset date (as defined in the CPP Act) must fall within a period when you made minimum qualifying contributions for 4 of 6 years. For example, in 2021 the amount of pensionable earnings to meet the minimum contributions was $6,100. So you would need earnings of $6100 or more to qualify as meeting the minimum contributions for 2021. The amount required is different for each year. I happen to have the exact amount for 2021 in front of me, but the amount goes up $100 or so per year. The minimum qualifying amount for CPP retirement is much less so don’t get confused with that.

David Brannen

Disability Lawyer with Resolute Legal

The response posted above is based on the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with a lawyer, fully explain your situation, and allow the lawyer enough time to research the applicable law and facts required to give an adequate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full one-on-one discussion with a lawyer should be done before taking any any action. The information posted on this forum is available to the viewing public and is not intended to create a lawyer client relationship with any person. If you want one-on-one advice, please click here to request a free consultation or call toll free 1-877-917-7050 to speak with a member with our disability claim support team.

Thank you David for your response. I am finding it hard to understand the concept of MQP so I appreciate your input.

I was going to look up what the minimum amount is for each year but I find my online statement of contributions confusing so I just called Service Canada and actually got through to a representative within seconds! (there is a first time for everything lol). I was told that all the years I contributed to CPP are qualifying except for one year, and that I qualify for CPP-D (I guess the person meant I have made enough contributions to apply).

Just in case it is helpful for anyone else, I was also told that you can check whether you “qualify for CPP-D” by logging into My Service Canada Account> Canada Pension Plan/Old Age Security> Estimated Monthly CPP Benefits. If there is an estimated amount given for CPP-D, that means that you meet the requirements to apply.
(Previously it used to show it on the online Statement of Contributions, but I don’t think it does anymore.)