Moving to another community

Not sure what to do. I am on LTD and CPPD. my 2 year mark is july 2022. I am still considered an employee of the company I worked for. I was told when I became disabled that I would not be able to return to the company in any position due to the limitations I now have. Am I able to move to a new community or would that be considered abandoning my job? Any thoughts anyone? Thanks

1 Like

What do you mean by community?
Assuming you are talking about moving.
It depends on the company.
They might use moving away as a reason to fire you but they might not.
Sounds like they could have gotten rid of you by now if they wanted.
That doesn’t mean they can’t later.
Sorry, there is no definitive answer.

by community I mean different town 6 hrs from where I live now. Will LTD see it as abandoning my job and cut me off.

LTD is paid by the insurance company so they don’t care about your job.
They do care about your ability to work.
They may try to cut you off at 2 years if they think you can work anywhere else (for pay based on education and experience, etc).
You have to judge how strong you think your LTD claim is (eg. a slam dunk) with the benefits of moving.
Be prepared that you may to get a lawyer after 2 years if the insurance company cuts you off.
I haven’t had to get a lawyer but I was prepared to.
I moved but it was after 4 years.
I’m a fan of not overthinking things and dealing with whatever happens.
You could get the free consult and talk to a lawyer.
Free Consultation Request — Resolute Legal

1 Like

Thanks for the information. I try not to over think things but things are not so cut and dried.

1 Like

I don’t know but you will need to make sure that you are able to get appropriate medical care for your condition in the new location. Some LTD will stop paying if you leave the country. You can also make it a temporary move intending to move back when you are better. And it would be less concerning to the claims manager if you are moving to get extra help from family or something like that.

1 Like

You have a right to move anywhere as long as you get medical care in your new place of residence. The only exception is if your policy specifically prohibits this which I doubt it would. I moved from BC to Alberta without any issue. I use my BC benefits perfectly fine here in Alberta. In fact, Costco can direct bill my medications in Alberta directly to BC blue cross. I am around the 4 year mark.

Thanks Caro. I happen to be moving to get closer to family.

Thanks Adam. I don’t see anything about moving in my policy and yes I can get medical care there.

1 Like