Manulife LTD & CPP Disability Question

Hi, I’m new here. I was diagnosed with Breast Cancer stage 3A in Oct, 2016. I worked until January 13, 2017 and then went on short term disability while waiting for my surgery in Feb 2017. I then had 6 months of chemo and 5 weeks of radiation until the end of November. My short term disability switched over to LTD while on chemo. I’m now on the final hormone treatment which is for 5 years, and also involves a treatment at the hospital every 6 months. I’m also scheduled for a breast reduction/reconstruction surgery in June 2017. My Manulife caseworker just informed me that I am required to apply for CPP disability. I am 63 and was considering an early retirement rather than returning to work. My job is very physical and demanding - I work in a University bookstore.I’m not able to do the heavy lifting aspects of my job. I’m really having a struggle filling out the application. What happens if the application is denied?

As long as you continue to receive LTD payments, you need to keep appealing any CPP disability denials. You need to go through all the levels of appeals. A denial of CPP disability doesn’t mean the LTD insurer will also stop payments, but you do have to keep appealing the CPP disability, and not miss any deadlines.

David Brannen

Disability Lawyer with Resolute Legal

The response posted above is based on the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with a lawyer, fully explain your situation, and allow the lawyer enough time to research the applicable law and facts required to give an adequate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full one-on-one discussion with a lawyer should be done before taking any any action. The information posted on this forum is available to the viewing public and is not intended to create a lawyer client relationship with any person. If you want one-on-one advice, please click here to request a free consultation or call toll free 1-877-282-5188 to speak with a member with our disability claim support team.

Thanks. What if I decide to take an early retirement?

You are better off trying for CPP-D. But early retirement is an option but you will get less.

Retirement status is is something you need to consider carefully. In some cases it will simply mean that any retirement pension income is deducted form LTD payments, but in other situations “retirement” will result in the LTD benefits ending completely. IT depends on the wording of your insurance policy or LTD plan.

David Brannen

The response posted above is based on the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with a lawyer, fully explain your situation, and allow the lawyer enough time to research the applicable law and facts required to give an adequate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full one-on-one discussion with a lawyer should be done before taking any any action. The information posted on this forum is available to the viewing public and is not intended to create a lawyer client relationship with any person. If you want one-on-one advice, please click here to request a free consultation or call toll free 1-877-282-5188 to speak with a member with our disability claim support team.

My LTD ends if I retire but I am not unionized and in the private sector.
My unionized public sector friend is retired and still gets LTD (reduced by his pension).

Thanks, I am in a Union job.

Even if you are in a union, you would need to check to see what the insurance policy says. Not all union LTD contracts are the same.

What if I decide to return to work once the process is in motion? I do have LTD until Aug 16, 2019 providing I’m unable to perform the duties of my own occupation. I’ll be 65 on Dec 18.2019 and had planned to retire by January, 2020.

You would need to advise the insurance company of any attempts to return to work. This will result in them offsetting the LTD with employment income and normally stopping LTD payments if you show you can continue to work on a regular basis, or if they take the view that you “should” be able to work on a regular basis.

David Brannen

Great idea stress ain’t worth it Thank God I’ve had a easy ride for 10 yrs