LTD Form Question

As per my last post i attempted a RTW in the summer. My provider started reassessing my claim. They previously deemed me to be permanently disabled.

I am no longer able to continue working and in hindsight should not have returned. Now my benefits are in jeopardy.

Anyways, the insurer now is asking for a large form to be filled out and all his notes. My file is now transferred to someone else.

I haven’t gone through the entire form but one question feels like a trap. Im not sure how to fill it out.

“What complications are prolonging your patient’s recovery”

My doctor deems me to be permanently disabled. I suffer from mental health issues. PTSD and so on.

He’s most likely going to put that i am permanently disabled and no further recovery is expected.

It seems like an odd question since they previously deemed me permanently disabled.

I might also be hypersensitive and over thinking this question. This is my 2nd failed return to work. I was really hoping it was going to be different this time. Last time the form for my doctor was also 3 simple questions.

1 Like

Yeah I would say that you reopened the door to the idea that their might be some hope of a recovery and your doctor will have to slam it shut again. The suggested answer sounds right to me. It sucks to have to go through the assessment again but I sympathize with how tough it is to give up all hope here.

2 Likes

Hi there. I am sorry to hear you are going through this. I remember your post from a few months ago (RTW and Insurer causing problems - #3 by Caro). I gave you some advice on this and unfortunately it seems I was right. The system is just not setup for this. I give you credit for trying and it’s a shame you’re now being punished for that. I think that question is a tricky one and I agree with just repeating over and over “Pt is permanently disabled. No recovery expected”. I wouldn’t stress too much about it, it won’t help. You were on LTD for 7 years so I am sure they won’t put up too much of a fight. Good luck.

2 Likes

Yes you were correct. It is too bad RTW are looked at this by insurers. I appreciate both of you responding to both posts.

You did the right thing in trying to return to work. I am a BIG supporter of people on LTD attempting to return to work if they feel they can do so. It is important for you own mental health. It will not always result in the LTD isurer denying a claim if the RTW fails. A good faith attempted RTW will reflect very favourably on you if you get into a situation where you have to appeal a denial or sue the insurance company. Don’t hesitate to reach out to us if you have questions.

David Brannen

Disability Lawyer with Resolute Legal

The response posted above is based on the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with a lawyer, fully explain your situation, and allow the lawyer enough time to research the applicable law and facts required to give an adequate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full one-on-one discussion with a lawyer should be done before taking any any action. The information posted on this forum is available to the viewing public and is not intended to create a lawyer client relationship with any person. If you want one-on-one advice, please click here to request a free consultation or call toll free 1-877-917-7050 to speak with a member with our disability claim support team.

1 Like