Interview recommends aproval for LTD

My interview with the insurance company happened today and it is recommend my LTD be approved.
I did a bit more than the “bare” application but I want to do way more for my CPP-D application.

What should I answer for this question?

Has your physician told you when you can return to work?
The correct answer is “yes, never”.

“Never” may be too much if you are still in recovery. If you are receiving treatment and still waiting for it to take effect then you can say: “The return to work date is not known at this time”.

1 Like

What do you mean by that? Your case manager will recommend for your LTD to be approved? By whom?

The interview was done by a different insurance company employee other than my case manager.
I don’t know why my case manager asked someone else to do it.

There is no treatment.
The correct answer is probably “yes, never” but the never is the important part.
I guess I could ask my doctor what he thinks I should put.

If I remember you have an incurable disease. If your Doctor says you will not be able to work and your are permanently disabled then your answer of yes and never make sense.

I see, sounds serious. I would personally say “yes” and then clarify somewhere that “there is no treatment for this condition and return to work is not currently feasible”. There is some arrogance in the word “never”.

1 Like

Ya, I am worried about sounding arrogant.

There is some sadness too around the word never as well. If you are terminal , have Parkinson or other diagnosis where you will just decline over time-then never may be the right word.

1 Like

That is me and it is depressing but I try not to think about it, I can’t change my situation.

I like Elaine’s suggestion for wording it.

1 Like

I would be careful, if there is no treatment to use the word “currently”. When my caseworker calls I am firm in using words like “little to no improvement since onset” and “condition will only progress with time”. Currently may be taken a variety of ways, they will always take it in real time, which is “now” and short term. If there is no cure for your condition like mine, you need to get the point through in a polite way that they cannot slap you with later down the road, because they will! It definately is all in our wording.

2 Likes

Sorry to hear that.

Definitely the wording should be appropriate to his condition.

I agree with waterboy, I want the wording to not be able to be interpreted later in a way other than I meant it. :slight_smile:
I am cynical about getting my CPP-D application just right.

My interview with the insurance company happened today and it is recommend my LTD be approved.
I did a bit more than the “bare” application but I want to do way more for my CPP-D application.

What should I answer for this question?

Has your physician told you when you can return to work?
The correct answer is “yes, never”.

I would recommend you simply answer that question as no. And also that that says, if appropriate would you attend a vocational program you always answer yes…because they say, “if appropriate”

David Brannen

Disability Lawyer with Resolute Legal

The response posted above is based on the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliabile manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with a lawyer, fully explain your situation, and allow the lawyer enough time to research the applicable law and facts required to give an adequate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full one-on-one discussion with a lawyer should be done before taking any any action. The information posted on this forum is available to the viewing public and is not intended to create a lawyer client relationship with any person. If you want one-on-one advice, please click here to request a free consultation or call toll free 1-877-282-5188 to speak with a member with our disability claim support team.

Thanks David, sounds good.