CPP-D possible issue

My sister was told to apply for CPP-D April 2024. She was then forced back to FULL time work by insurance July 2024. LTD stopped paying her.
She is in pain all day plus she is having a difficult time at work with her new boss.

Q1 - If CPP-D is approved this year will she have to pay it back since her income will be over the six thousand dollar limit?

Q2 - Should she cancel CPP-D application?

Thank you!

I read there is sort of a three month ā€˜graceā€™ to see how the employee can handle work??

Yes almost all LTD policies have a ā€œrelapseā€ policy. Get a copy of herā€™s to make sure.

They should of put her in a gradual return to work program, not straight into full-time. Have her doctor issue a letter stating she canā€™t work anymore, have her stop working, and notify her LTD insurer that her benefit payments will need to resume. LTD insurers donā€™t decide if you are able to return to work, that can only be decided by her doctor.

Under no circumstances should she say anything about a difficult time with a boss.

1 Like

Forgot to add, if she is approved for cpp-d then she is absolutely 100% qualified to be back on LTD.

1 Like

When I got approved for CPPD on my initial application I was asked if I returned to work which I said no and then the next sentence she said was then I am approved for CPPD. I would think if you working and they ask you that question it would be a red flag as now we are into October and the LTD forced back to work was a few months ago. Is your sister still working or did she try to go back on LTD?

1 Like

Thank you Buckets365 & Harvey23!

Sorry about my late response. Apparently the insurance company can force people back to work. They have their own doctors who oversee all the applications for disability.

She is still working as of now. No word from CPP-D as yet.

Just want to reiterate. ABSOLUTELY no insurance company can force someone back to work. Itā€™s definitely a decision that only a person can make in conjunction with their OWN doctor. Hired doctors from an insurance company are irrelevant.

If an insurance company uses their doctors to state either go back to work or we will cut off your LTD benefits (when your own doctors advise is not to work) then the insurance company has opened themselves up to significant legal damages.

NEVER let an LTD insurance company tell you itā€™s up to them if you can or can not work. It is NEVER up to them.