Interest on retroactive payment

When your claim takes several months to get approved and the insurance company pays a retroactive lump sum amount for those months, should they also pay interest on that?

Seems like they should… After all I have been paying interest to my creditors all this time. I think that when it goes to court, judges include interest. Is it worth bringing up. I’m really determined not to be taken advantage of in any way by the insurance company.

I am not aware of an insurer paying interest. If they forget to pay you on an approved claim then you can ask for any NSF fees or extra charges incurred due to their error.

But if they delayed in approving, I think you are out of luck. Unless it was an error of their doing.
I think you are asking for troubles or an unneccessary sqabble.

1 Like

This is a very good question. Disability insurance is a contact, so if interest is to be paid for delays in benefits, then that would have to be set out in the contact (insurance policy). I have never see it included in a policy.

In the example you give (Creditors), you have a contract with them includes a clause requiring interest.

However, insurance companies will always pay interest on past benefits owed in cases that go to litigation (legal appeals) because the interest is required by the rules of court. So there is a rule requiring it.

David Brannen

Disability Lawyer with Resolute Legal

The response posted above is based on the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with a lawyer, fully explain your situation, and allow the lawyer enough time to research the applicable law and facts required to give an adequate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full one-on-one discussion with a lawyer should be done before taking any any action. The information posted on this forum is available to the viewing public and is not intended to create a lawyer client relationship with any person. If you want one-on-one advice, please click here to request a free consultation or call toll free 1-877-282-5188 to speak with a member with our disability claim support team.

2 Likes