How long till the pressure eases?

Been on LTD with Manulife coming up on 3 years. Severe mental health issues that have been verified by psychiatrists on 3 sides. Includes their IME. They all agree and they all say to go back to work without treatment will only exacerbate state of mental health. I have all documentation, med reports, case file to February 2018, psych reports etc…
Case file hints at I may not return and that is something they have to keep in mind. I have the master policy.
I have asked for help for years and insurance company says we are not obligated to pay for treatment. Mental health is not included in group benefits. So they have been happy to pay monthly coming up on 3 years. Having me jump through in the process.
How likely are they to finally offer some kind of buy out? I’m not being greedy I am just tired of the constant threat of being cut off. The pressure is huge.

I can tell you from experience that Manulife does not offer buy-outs in your situation. It is my understanding that they will not do buyouts (of an approved claim) on any claims involving mental health conditions. You can do lump sum settlements, but would need to be in the context of a denied claim and lawsuit.

David Brannen

Disability Lawyer with Resolute Legal

The response posted above is based on the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with a lawyer, fully explain your situation, and allow the lawyer enough time to research the applicable law and facts required to give an adequate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full one-on-one discussion with a lawyer should be done before taking any any action. The information posted on this forum is available to the viewing public and is not intended to create a lawyer client relationship with any person. If you want one-on-one advice, please click here to request a free consultation or call toll free 1-877-282-5188 to speak with a member with our disability claim support team.

The pressure is immense, I’m sorry.

They won’t pay for therapy unless it can clearly get you back to work. In my opinion, you don’t want them to be paying for that anyway.

You can get free counselling at most mental health agencies. Usually if you call a local distress center, they have a list of many free places you can go. Or, the local Canadian Mental Health Association will have a list. They usually have peer groups too. Sometimes psychiatrists can refer you into day programs at the hospital too. Just depends on your needs.

At the 5 year mark they will likely cool off some.