How do they determine the date you were disabled from and is there a way to easily check?

Hey everyone.

So I applied (and got on) CPP-D.

None of the letters I got seemed to say when they decided I was disabled was though. It’s relevant as if they determined it was later than I did, I’d be getting a bit less money than I could have otherwise.

Like there’s an “effective date” listed on the approval letter. But that’s just the 11 months before I got the application in. I was disabled before that. Or does it not matter and that’s the date?

They also talk about me having worked enough before x month of x year in order to qualify. Is that the date? Cause I was disabled quite a bit before then. Or is that what the rules say it is.

Is there somewhere I can check online? Or do I have to call. Thanks for the help.

Hi Jane,

The date of disability onset and effective date of disability are two different things. The date of disability onset is a factual date that ultimately the Tribunal judge would decide when your disability got to the level to be “seroius” as defined by the CPP disability program. The effective date of disability on the other hand, is the date when payments would start. It is always no earlier than 11 months before your date of application, even if your date of disability onset was months or years earlier.

The talk about you working x years is the contributions requirement to qualify for CPP disability. Your date of disability onset must fall within a time when you made qualifying contributions to CPP disability for four of the past six years.

I recommend checking out the CPP Disability Channel on youtube. That is where I answer all of these questions. I cover both of the above questions there. Hope you enjoy!

David Brannen

Disability Lawyer with Resolute Legal

The response posted above is based on the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with a lawyer, fully explain your situation, and allow the lawyer enough time to research the applicable law and facts required to give an adequate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full one-on-one discussion with a lawyer should be done before taking any any action. The information posted on this forum is available to the viewing public and is not intended to create a lawyer client relationship with any person. If you want one-on-one advice, please click here to request a free consultation or call toll free 1-877-917-7050 to speak with a member with our disability claim support team.

Hi David,

When filling out the CPP D if you started Short term sickness with the employer which was managed by the insurance company and LTD a few months after is it accurate to use the 1 date of your short term sickness date as to when you were totally disabled?

Are you asking if you should use the date you first went off work for the CPP-D application?
I would.

1 Like

Like jammer said, it’s the date you could no longer work regularly because of disability. So often that is the same date you go off on STD.

David Brannen

Disability Lawyer with Resolute Legal

The response posted above is based on the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with a lawyer, fully explain your situation, and allow the lawyer enough time to research the applicable law and facts required to give an adequate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full one-on-one discussion with a lawyer should be done before taking any any action. The information posted on this forum is available to the viewing public and is not intended to create a lawyer client relationship with any person. If you want one-on-one advice, please click here to request a free consultation or call toll free 1-877-917-7050 to speak with a member with our disability claim support team.

Hi David - Just to clarify these two dates a bit (date of onset versus effective date), the date of onset is actually limited by section 42(2)(b) to being a maximum of 15 months prior to the month of application. Section 69 of the legislation then says that the effective date for payment is the fourth month following the date of onset, so it is the combination of these two provisions that result in the maximum retroactivity being 11 months.

1 Like

I think it is up to 11 months retroactive from when you applied but I am not sure so wait for David. :slight_smile: