How do CPPD calculate which years to use for contribution requirements on late application?

Hi,

My doctor listed me as disabled in December 2011, although I continued to work until October 2012 when I additionally was in a car accident and suffered a brain injury on top of severe bipolar affective disorder.

My last CPP contribution was in 2016 as I tried to return to work part-time.

I’ve just discovered I worked 50-hours in 2017. I can’t check what I put on my application as…wait for it…I seem to have lost it. CPP has said I can request a copy in writing. The Service Canada site says $0.00 for that year and “Below basic exemption amount for the year”.

CPPD already called me and told me that I meet the requirements. They would have access to the data that says I have?

So, my question is: do CPPD calculate contribution requirements backwards from the last CPP contribution (2016) for a late application? Will my “Below basic exemption amount for the year” in 2017 matter? Or do they consider 2012-2013 to be the date I became disabled and use CPP contributions from 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012?

Sorry for the rambling post. I’m freaking out here.

That’s all that matters.

I don’t know but if they said you meet the contributions then try not to worry.

The key thing in a case like this is to justify the right onset date for your disability, which can be complicated in situations like yours with on and off of work. They don’t just go by what the doctor says. If you claim gets denied I highly recommend you contact us or another experienced lawyer or advocate to review your situation and determine best way to present you Appeal so your disability onset fits within your qualifying period.

David Brannen

Disability Lawyer with Resolute Legal

The response posted above is based on the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with a lawyer, fully explain your situation, and allow the lawyer enough time to research the applicable law and facts required to give an adequate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full one-on-one discussion with a lawyer should be done before taking any any action. The information posted on this forum is available to the viewing public and is not intended to create a lawyer client relationship with any person. If you want one-on-one advice, please click here to request a free consultation or call toll free 1-877-282-5188 to speak with a member with our disability claim support team.

Thanks @David_Brannen.

How far past the MQP date can medical evidence be used? My accident was in 2012, but they did tests for years for the tort case – which is most of the evidence I’ve got.

Once it is determined when your MQP period ends, the most important medical information will be that in the 5 years leading up to that date. The medical records after that date are only important to the extent they show the condition is continuous. If the records after the MQP end date show your conditioning worsening, then you need to be very extremely cautious with how you present your case as it will be easy for the tribunal judge to find that your disability did not become “severe and prolonged” until after the MQP date. This is where I see most people (and their doctors) go wrong by focusing too much on the current disability and not at the MQP end date. You should consider getting representation from us or another experienced advocate or lawyer in this situation if your claim is not approved because cases like this need to be handled extremely carefully to be successful.

David Brannen

Disability Lawyer with Resolute Legal

The response posted above is based on the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with a lawyer, fully explain your situation, and allow the lawyer enough time to research the applicable law and facts required to give an adequate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full one-on-one discussion with a lawyer should be done before taking any any action. The information posted on this forum is available to the viewing public and is not intended to create a lawyer client relationship with any person. If you want one-on-one advice, please click here to request a free consultation or call toll free 1-877-282-5188 to speak with a member with our disability claim support team.

Thanks, @David_Brannen. My case is interesting as the tort lawsuit was very drawn out and has many, many medical reports – but they all reference the end of the MQP as the date of disability (car accident). They also reference my bipolar disorder becoming worse because of the index accident.

I’ve called your office for a consultation.

1 Like

Not sure what you mean by this, but no one other than Service Canada would reference your MQP because they would not know it. The “date of disability” or “date of loss” used in Tort cases is not necessarily the same as the “date of onset of disability” to be used for your CPP disability claim.