Going off of CPP-D after reaching max earnings

I am on a RTW program, and am fortunate that my employer has still been paying us under certain provisions during Covid-19, despite not being allowed to physically work. I have minimum hours per week, but have reached the point where I feel I have at least probably reached the maximum allowable earnings to claim the CPP-D benefit. So I called Service Canada and explained that I am sure I am at the max - the problem is that our pay is auto-generated during this, and our pay stubs don’t have the breakdown of gross/net yearly earnings, etc. So until I get back in the office and our systems are retroactively corrected, I won’t know for sure what amount (likely small) of overpayment I may have to pay back.

I’m wondering if anyone knows what happens when you reach the max allowable? I’m assuming they will simply stop the benefit entirely, is this correct? The person I spoke to basically is passing my message on, and I’ll be contacted at some point, when I’m sure I’ll get the answers, I’m just wondering if anyone here has been to this point. Thank you!

I think they’ll stop paying CPPD but I don’t know when they do that (could be months of overpayment).
Just put it in the bank and remember not to spend it.
I never did RTW.


Personally I would follow up in writing to ensure that Service Canada is aware you have notified them of your earnings.
I stumbled across this page when I was looking for more info.
It looks like it may be up to the individual case as to whether CPPD will terminate and their medical information?


You should specifically ask to be involved in CPP disability vocational rehabilitation program. This will give them much more flexibility in how they treat your earnings. You can continue to work and not have to pay any CPPD back as long as you are in the vocational return program.

David Brannen

Disability Lawyer with Resolute Legal

The response posted above is based on the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with a lawyer, fully explain your situation, and allow the lawyer enough time to research the applicable law and facts required to give an adequate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full one-on-one discussion with a lawyer should be done before taking any any action. The information posted on this forum is available to the viewing public and is not intended to create a lawyer client relationship with any person. If you want one-on-one advice, please click here to request a free consultation or call toll free 1-877-282-5188 to speak with a member with our disability claim support team.