Feeling vulnerable

Hi,

My name is Ennio. I’m on my employer’s disability insurance. I have recently passed the 2 year own occupation period. I went on disability in Oct. 2014 for major depression and anxiety, now i have been diagnosed with fibromyalgia. I have pain, stiffness,numbness and burning through my body all day long. Regular daily activities are difficult for me to do.

I have been hospitalized in psychiatric ward for 8 months, with medication and finally 17 electro shocks , I was doing better to be able to leave hospital. They offered me maintenance electro shocks,but I refused them. I couldn’t take them anymore, they are very heavy on the body, very invasive , they affect your memory, concentration and vision. My memory is still not back.The benefits of the electro shocks helped me for 10 days, then I started slipping.

Can I be forced to take more electro shocks even after we saw that benefits don’t last and,

Can my employer fire me during all this

Thank you for your time.

Hi Ennio, I have commented on this issue of ECT in another answer on here. In terms of what treatment you are “required” to undergo, please keep in mind that every case has to be taken on its own merits. What is reasonable in one case may not be so in another. That fact that you have tried this line of treatment and results were temporary would certainly be in your favour. This is different from someone who just outright refuses.

Employers can dismiss any permanently disabled person who is unable to come back to work. Most employers wait 3-4 years to do this. Some never do.

If your LTD insurance company starts giving you concerns they may stop your payments, please get in touch with us for a free consultation. The advice for each situation has to be very customized.