Electroconvulsive Therapy (ECT)

Hi everybody,
I have had so many medication changes and dosage increases by my psychiatrist. Can the insurance company recommend ECT? I am willing to try any medication that is recommended but do not feel comfortable with ECT? Has anybody who has dealt with an LTD provider ever run into ECT as being pushed by an insurer?

Thank you.

Have you discussed it with your doctor, as to both whether it would be appropriate and about the specific things that concern you? I do know a couple of people who have had some success with ECT for treatment of resistant depression. It gets a bit of a bad rap for historical reasons that no longer apply.

1 Like

I don’t think they can tell you what to do especially if you’re not comfortable with it

I have found getting my gut health in order and doing some detoxing alleviated mental health symptoms. Might be something you want to explore. I worked with a homeopath and herbalist.

1 Like

ECT needs to be recommended by a psychiatrist. This can be your psychiatrist or one the insurance company hires to see you. So, yes, the insurance company can push ECT if it is recommended by your doctor or one they have hired.

We don’t see this come up very often; however, if ECT is being recommended by doctors, the insurers will seek to require you to have it done.

David Brannen

Disability Lawyer with Resolute Legal

The response posted above is based on the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with a lawyer, fully explain your situation, and allow the lawyer enough time to research the applicable law and facts required to give an adequate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full one-on-one discussion with a lawyer should be done before taking any any action. The information posted on this forum is available to the viewing public and is not intended to create a lawyer client relationship with any person. If you want one-on-one advice, please click here to request a free consultation or call toll free 1-877-917-7050 to speak with a member with our disability claim support team.