Disability tax credit for long term illness

It probably pays more but the odsp health plan might be worth it if you don’t have employer health benefits.

In order to transfer any unused amounts of the Disability Tax Credit on the Income Tax Return to the caregiver you refer to only qualifies if 1. You are not married or common-law 2. You don’t require the full amounts to reduce your taxes payable. 3. The caregiver you refer to must be:

Suggestion…please verify facts before suggesting information. And if someone is suggesting the answer to your post then please verify yourself when it is accessible information with the Canada Revenue Agency.

Much appreciated @Vicki. Yes I do verify information before moving forward. Do you have any suggestions regarding CPP-D or others?

1 Like

Keep an eye on the new Canada Disability Benefit income.
Bill c35. See my post previously about it.

1 Like

@Vicki @jammer @Caro and others! I have given Service Canada a call and after a few hours in, I was spent. My brain fog/cognitive impairment doesn’t allow me to retain all that information though I took as many notes as I could. Can I run it by here what I have learned along with additional questions for clarification? This is what I gathered.

-I can transfer taxes to caregiver (parent) and it will not affect their income taxes. Just acts as credits for their payable taxes. Correct?

-They back calculate my taxes and if there’s not much of a refund, I can transfer REST of the amount to caregiver. What happens to my back calculated taxes?

-RDSP account funds will be active only if one remains disabled. Once one is able to work, the government retrieves those funds back but allows the account to remain open in case ones condition renders them disabled again? Is it worth it to open? How will I know what will happen 5 years down the road?

-My caregiver is in another province (Quebec). It doesn’t state my caregiver has to be under same roof but there’s not much information on how to do this if person files taxes in Quebec.

-Last but not least…how will this affect my ODSP if caregiver files taxes that I am a dependent?

I cannot thank you guys enough!

I can only answer this one:

RDSP account funds will be active only if one remains disabled. Once one is able to work, the government retrieves those funds back but allows the account to remain open in case ones condition renders them disabled again? Is it worth it to open? How will I know what will happen 5 years down the road?

It is worth doing anyway because of the grants and bonds. In 2019 they proposed changing the rules so that you can keep the RDSP open even if you are no longer disabled. That change hasn’t gone through yet but they are still expecting it to go through.

@Caro Thanks for the reply. Any response is helpful. I had the impression the grants and bonds were clawed back, despite the RDSP remaining open. So basically it’s an empty open account?

The rules are in transition. And you don’t know how long you’ll be disabled. If you open it as long as you are 49 or younger then you have nothing to lose except a bit of time and effort if you no longer qualify, but can gain thousands of dollars for the future if you remain disabled or if the rule change does go ahead. I didn’t open mine because I was hoping my disability would be transient but that was a mistake.

Yes, it is a credit.

I don’t know if you can transfer part of your DTC each year, I don’t know.

No idea.
I would contact https://www.marchofdimes.ca/