Disability Insurance?

Hello! I just graduated as a veterinarian, and now I have to make a bunch of important life decisions. For those of you in the states, do you pay monthly for disability insurance? I was quoted about $114/month through TPVS. My mom is concerned they are preying on new grads, but I also feel like it is something important to have in case of an incident. Thanks!

Hi this is a Canadian forum but that sounds close to what I’ve heard from Americans. You really need to think about some of the features though, try searching the White Coat Investor website for guest posts on disability insurance.

Congratulations on your graduation. As a new vet graduate, you should absolutely get a private disability insurance. that way you can keep this plan over your entire practice. Group disability insurance in the US is terrible, much worse than what we have in Canada. So you really need to get the individual insurance as a professional who could be self employed at some point in your career.

$114 per month is not unusual if you have a good policy that is for your “own occupation”. You may want to shop around, but focus on getting a policy that covers your “own” occupation, has inflation protection, and give you the option to increase your coverage amount each year as your income rises. Get advice from an insurance broker you trust.

David Brannen

Disability Lawyer with Resolute Legal

The response posted above is based on the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with a lawyer, fully explain your situation, and allow the lawyer enough time to research the applicable law and facts required to give an adequate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full one-on-one discussion with a lawyer should be done before taking any any action. The information posted on this forum is available to the viewing public and is not intended to create a lawyer client relationship with any person. If you want one-on-one advice, please click here to request a free consultation or call toll free 1-877-917-7050 to speak with a member with our disability claim support team.