Can getting married put my disability benefits at risk?

I have been on disability for over five years. I currently receive private LTD, CPP-D and a top up indemnity from my auto insurance. I reside in Nova Scotia if that matters.

I have been engaged for several years now, and we plan to finally go to the courthouse and get married(very short timeline and no extravagant event or reception- I don’t have energy for all that). I have been afraid and holding off on getting married in fear that it could potentially cause issues or be used against me with my disability cases. My partner and I have already been registered as common-law for years(with the government and with the private benefit/LTD company)and I haven’t been able to find anything that says a change in marital status could risk my benefits; but I figured I’d ask here for extra piece of mind!

Thank you in advance for any advice!

1 Like

Rzcma Welcome to the forum.

I am guessing it may not affect your paycheque. LTD is paid for by an insurance company and not the provincial government so that should be okay. CPP-D should continue to get all of it. I do not know about the top up from your auto insurance. Some other poster may come along and help us understand it.

1 Like

I don’t know but welcome to the forum.
@David_Brannen probably knows. :slight_smile:
Nova Scotia is likely the same as New Brunswick. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you so much! :slightly_smiling_face:
That’s what I guessed too, and I couldn’t find much information about it online; but my anxious brain wouldn’t stop thinking about it until I posted. Thanks so much for the reply!

1 Like

Congratulations on getting married and welcome to the forum! LTD, CPPD and Auto Accident Payments are not affected by a marriage. They are paid only on the basis of your disability, not your household income. So, you could marry a millionaire and still get your CPP disability payments.

However, provincial disability benefits are paid on the basis of household income, so those types of disability benefits would be affected by a marriage.

As an aside, if you have received a lump sum payment, or plan to receive a lump sum payment after your marriage, I recommend keeping it in a separate bank account. Don’t put it in a joint-account. That way if you get separated or divorced you have a better claim to keep that money.

David Brannen

Disability Lawyer with Resolute Legal

The response posted above is based on the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with a lawyer, fully explain your situation, and allow the lawyer enough time to research the applicable law and facts required to give an adequate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full one-on-one discussion with a lawyer should be done before taking any any action. The information posted on this forum is available to the viewing public and is not intended to create a lawyer client relationship with any person. If you want one-on-one advice, please click here to request a free consultation or call toll free 1-877-282-5188 to speak with a member with our disability claim support team.

1 Like

Thank you so much! And thank you for the thorough reply and for the peace of mind! I am so relieved after hearing this. I don’t receive any provincial benefits that I am aware of, so I think I should be okay! I feel like I can finally relax and enjoy it now, instead of stressing and worrying. I really appreciate your time and reply!

1 Like