Authorization to release information

Hi everyone,

Usually, my case manager asks me for information which I relay to my doctor and then he usually just sends whatever is needed directly to the case manager. However, I was just given a new rehab consultant and he said that they need to be able to communicate with the doctor directly, hence my case manager just sent me a form to sign which allows them to

" gather information pertaining to my claim, employer, group plan administrator, Heath care professionals, Heath care institution and any other medically - related facility, rehabilitation provider, insurer, administrators of government benefits or other benefits programs, the medical information Bureau and investigation agency to exchange information requested by the insurance company"

Is this something I should sign? I don’t want them to have this much access. Is it possible to ask them to make it more precise? Do I have the right to refuse to sign it?

Chees.

It is normal for rehabilitation consultant to want to speak directly with your doctor and other health professionals. Also it is part of your duty to mitigate to follow reasonable recommendations from health care providers. Allowing them to speak with your doctor can be reasonable in many cases. You have a right to restrict the authorization form to limit the communications direclty between your doctor, insurer and rehab consultant. But again you want to be reasonable, so if they need to coordinate other SPECIFIC people or organziations you should allow that as well. I would not recommend refusing to sign outright. just my thoughts and other lawyers may disagree.

David Brannen

Disability Lawyer with Resolute Legal

The response posted above is based on the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with a lawyer, fully explain your situation, and allow the lawyer enough time to research the applicable law and facts required to give an adequate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full one-on-one discussion with a lawyer should be done before taking any any action. The information posted on this forum is available to the viewing public and is not intended to create a lawyer client relationship with any person. If you want one-on-one advice, please click here to request a free consultation or call toll free 1-877-917-7050 to speak with a member with our disability claim support team.