Any ideas on what the meaning would be?

What does this mean (bold) ?

*Any period of time that an Employee was insured continuously under a provincial or territorial long term disability policy, prior to commencing coverage under this policy, shall be counted in determining both the 13 week and 12 month periods below. *

*Limitations *

Payment is not made for

*1. a Total Disability due to or resulting directly or indirectly from an Illness which existed on or before *
the commencement date of the Employee’s insurance unless

*A. the Employee has been insured under this provision for a continuous period of not less than 13 *
weeks during which he/she:

*a) has not received medical care, treatment, prescription medicines or diagnostic procedures *
*for such Illness from a Doctor or from appropriately qualified personnel acting under the *
direction of a Doctor, and

*b) has been continuously Actively At Work (for the purposes of this clause, Sun Life will *
disregard absences of a total of not more than 2 days during the same 13 week period), or

*B. the Total Disability commenced after the Employee has been insured under this policy for a *
period of at least 12 months.

1 Like

It hurts my brain to try to figure this out.
I think the 12 months means if you have a preexisting condition you have to work 12 months before you can get disability for the preexisting condition.
I have no guess what the 13 weeks is.
Hopefully someone else knows what it all means.

Totally hurts my head.

I’m good with the bottom text describing limitations.

But it’s the paragraph above it that I don’t get.
Any period of time that an Employee was insured continuously under a provincial or territorial long term disability policy, prior to commencing coverage under this policy

I think if someone was on ODSP (in Ontario).

One of the first rules of lawyering is to never try to interpret a clause form a contract without reading the entire contract. Context is very important to understand what it would mean.