They gave me back pay and possibly reinstated me before mediation?

At the beginning of the year my disability insurer stopped paying me.

They didn’t give me a denial letter, they just stopped paying.

I got a lawyer and we initiated a lawsuit. My lawyer spoke with them several times. Initially, they actually denied that I had lost benefits. But I continued to not get paid and my lawyer confirmed that they weren’t paying me with the financial statements he requested and received.

They were discussing mediation dates when suddenly a lump sum equaling all my missed payments showed up in my bank account. I contacted my lawyer who was not aware they were going to pay me but said their lawyer had requested a call this week.

I am so confused. I’m waiting to hear what they say in the call. Even if they don’t continue to pay, the lump sum will keep me sheltered and fed for a bit.

So if you’re in the thick of this and aren’t sure how you will get through it, resolution may happen when you aren’t expecting it.

Is the insurance company going to pay for your lawyer?

I’m thinking an acceptable settlement will require more than just reinstatement.

Seeing as they cut me off right after I fled my very violent spouse (which they not only knew about but the psychiatrist they paid to complete an IME listed leaving my husband in her recommendations) and has left me unable to legally protect myself or keep myself adequately housed.

But I think them acknowledging I was eligible for benefits the whole time puts us in a good position for that discussion.