I’ve been on Short term disability for just over 5 months and it’s ending in about 3.5 weeks. While I’ve had improvements since going on medication, my health is still not fully stabilized. I never realized what a long road recovering from burnout could be. I am regularly having panic attacks when doing anything remotely stressful or difficult and my brain is still very tired and confused after 30-45 mins of concentrated focus work. At this point in time I don’t think I am able to do my job, even at reduced hours.
My company did a reorganization a few months ago while I was on leave and it’s highly likely that I will be laid off - I can’t be 100% sure, but it’s likely. I would not be heart broken, as my company has quite generous severances (I’ve been there for 20 years).
My GP however doesn’t want me to go on LTD at all, I think she’s afraid I will be on it for for years and not improve. She definitely has a bias. She has suggested that I start a gradual RTW with no LTD support to top up my pay! She said I could ask the company about using some of my banked vacation to supplement. She also said that if the RTW doesn’t go well she would later support an LTD leave if necessary, but she wants me to try now. I just don’t get this - if she doesn’t think I’m ready to go back full-time then does that fit the definition of disabled? My Dr. thinks my workplace is toxic for me and is hopeful they will just lay me off… that way I can get them out of my life. While I agree on some levels, my mental health and brain function resulting from severe burnout are not fully dependent on working at THIS company.
My STD case manager and psychologist both think I should apply for LTD.
- how long does it typically take Sunlife to review an LTD claim?
- is it more difficult to get LTD after you’ve already attempted RTW or better to apply now while on STD?
- has anyone had success using banked vacation time to offset the gap in hours? (I mean I don’t feel like I should have to, but if she won’t support my LTD then it would be my only option to supplement pay).
I don’t believe my company would lay me off until after I am back without accommodation (they are pretty risk averse)
- after LTD is severance generally based on that lower 66.7% or on full salary?
- do you think they would consider using vacation as an accommodation or if they were going to lay me off would they maybe go ahead?
Sorry for so many questions!