Losses you will face while disabled-Any tips?

1. Likely your credit rating will take a hit. Research options like consumer proposal-or if you don;t have any assets to seize being disabled may make you judgement proof.
    Type your province and disability programs-you might find help or programs there.
    Before your credit takes a dive look at options to waive loan payments or refinance mortgage.

2. Friendships-once you do not have a useful purpose for their lives, you may no longer be wanted as a friend.
    Some may envy you unfairly for having so much free time. Family can also be judgmental. Try to keep a sense of humour. Find a support group-either online or local. Don’t take the rejection personally. Your life is just going through a plot twist.

3. Loss of self esteem-boredom. You will need to create some structure to your life. Get up at the same time each day,
    do what exercise you can, watch out for over-eating. Find ways to reward yourself for building a new life. Find a hobby to keep your mind active. Go on youtube and find meditation videos, or listen to TedTalks. There are courses for free that can be done online (no grade) from Harvard and other top universities. Knit, paint, write a book,blog…

4. Your marriage. When my husband had his heart attack and was in intensive care a social worker advised us that 50% of marriages end because of illness. The MS Society says 75% of marriages will end after diagnosis. Think of counselling-recognize it is a joint loss-even on the spouse who is not ill. Know if the relationship can not handle the illness you are not alone. Keep a date day, find time to laugh.

Any tips out there on how to keep it together?

2 Likes

Sometimes it’s a good thing to take time off and take care of your health and other needs.

1. You can join mindfulness groups. It may help you deal with your emotions. Some of the groups are OHIP covered.

2. Work on your finances. One of my favourite books is “Money Rules” by Gail-Vaz Oxlade.

3. Join meetup groups in your area if your condition permits. You’ll meet a lot of new people and it’ll help you take your mind off your current problems.

4. Don’t blame others as they have little knowledge about disability.

5. Look into your eating habits. Stress may cause overeating.

6. Find a therapist if your current situation causes a lot of distress.

7. Take one hour mindful walk each day if your condition permits.

8. Don’t turn away from people no matter how hard it is.

9. Get legal consult if you are not sure what to do next or ask others.

10. Don’t believe in everything your insurer or your employer say. They tend to bully you into signing documents or do other things even if they are not supposed to do that. Read your insurance policy or employment contract before you do something. Or consult a lawyer.

11. Don’t blame yourself or your condition. Everyone can get ill at some point of their lives. Be kind to yourself and do anything to get better.

12. Watch for impulsive behaviors: drinking, smoking, overeating, overspending, drugs, doing things on a whim, getting into conflict situations, etc.

13. Help others as it will help you be less self-conscious and have some meaning in life.

14. Try to stay positive. There is future even if you don’t see one.

15. It’s ok to dream!

2 Likes

For me, keeping track of everything (I have tons of spreadsheets) is very enjoyable.
I know some people would hate it.

The other thing I really enjoy is visiting this website.

2 Likes

I keep the originals of important documents and scan everything else (letters, statements, receipts, reports, notes) and store on my external hard drive. It helps to get rid of paper clutter.