Life insurance with LTD

I have life insurance through my employer and I thought it was the same as my group extended health benefits (eg. tied to employment).
When I got LTD, the insurance company said they would pay the premiums for the life insurance.
My question is for how long?
Does it end when employment ends or when LTD ends?

My employee benefits paid my premiums until they ran out (when I was on short term).
When I went on LTD my plan booklet states insurer will pay until I am 65 or the LTD is terminated.

This is called a waiver of premium and is a separate claim but usually linked to your LTD approval. So the usual situation is it will continue as long as you are approved for LTD benefits. But, it is possible you could lose this life insurance if you are no longer part of the employer group benefits program. You would have to see if you can transfer the life insurance out of the group program if you are forced to withdraw.

David Brannen

Disability Lawyer with Resolute Legal

The response posted above is based on the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with a lawyer, fully explain your situation, and allow the lawyer enough time to research the applicable law and facts required to give an adequate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full one-on-one discussion with a lawyer should be done before taking any any action. The information posted on this forum is available to the viewing public and is not intended to create a lawyer client relationship with any person. If you want one-on-one advice, please click here to request a free consultation or call toll free 1-877-282-5188 to speak with a member with our disability claim support team.

Hi Jammer

My life insurance payment (which was minimal to begin with) was waived while I was on LTD, however, when I closed with LTD and retired, my LTD caseworker stated that I will still be covered for my life insurance until I am 65 according to my policy and I am. I may also have the option after 65 to continue to pay it on my own.

That would be great to have that option.