Law school while on disability

Hello
I have been on LTD for anxiety and depression. I was so disillusioned with life.
I applied to law school and I am wondering if I can attend law school online in Ontario while on the last few months of my disability.
Is this legal?

Thank you

It would depend on what your policy says. I think most policies don’t allow it but yours might. Take good care of yourself, the practice of law is renowned for being emotionally and mentally draining.

1 Like

Why and when are you going off LTD? This may help your case.
I think it would be tougher with an ongoing claim the insurer would likely say if you are well enough for law school you may be well enough for work.

You would need to have your insurer approve this. Attending law school is very difficult and would demonstrate a capacity to work. They might agree to allow you to stay on benefits, but unlikely.

David Brannen

Disability Lawyer with Resolute Legal

The response posted above is based on the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with a lawyer, fully explain your situation, and allow the lawyer enough time to research the applicable law and facts required to give an adequate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full one-on-one discussion with a lawyer should be done before taking any any action. The information posted on this forum is available to the viewing public and is not intended to create a lawyer client relationship with any person. If you want one-on-one advice, please click here to request a free consultation or call toll free 1-877-917-7050 to speak with a member with our disability claim support team.

If you think you were disillusioned with life before, wait until you become a lawyer!

(Sorry, I couldn’t resist. I am just kidding… sort of)