Keeping a Doctor Diary

Thank you for your response, David.

Just wanted to add that Iā€™ve had no issues getting copies of my medical records. Iā€™ve paid the fee and collected the documents so I could fax and email them myself to the insurer. Itā€™s better to be aware of what info your doctor provides, and catch any mistakes a busy administrative assistant may not notice. Iā€™ve caught a few things, such as an entire page missing from the initial medical questionnaire. Also, my doctorā€™s office does not fax personal medical records for privacy reasons, and snail mail adds more delay. Iā€™d rather know that everything was sent and have a copy.

I have a friend who does this for every medical appointment. He asks for copies of everything related to his medical care, including test results. I think itā€™s a great idea to be proactive and aware of what is done. I think itā€™s a good way to feel a little less powerless. Iā€™m not quite sure why it would be an issue. We request and keep records of every important aspects of our lives. Health matters seems like something you should be able to document. Itā€™s our right to request them.

I really like the idea of also taking my own notes during medical appointments. Doctors donā€™t all make detailed notes. A few months ago, my doctor told me something very important during an appointment but failed to put it in her notes and didnā€™t remember saying it. I remembered it clearly and thankfully my mother was with me and also remembered. However doctors do not go back to past notes so unfortunately what should have been in her notes months earlier was not documented. Timelines and dates are so important in this process and make a huge difference. Iā€™ve realized that she does not take very detailed notes and Iā€™m worried it will make things harder for me. If I had had access to her notes and compared with mine right away, my situation now would be much easier.

Iā€™ve also had no issues obtaining employment documents although I am really uncomfortable requesting. I really wish Iā€™d transferred important documents from my work email account to my personal one.

This can be a good idea for the reasons you state, I would just caution to make sure to keep the information focused only on the medial appointments and not turn it into a general diary. If you ever get to litigation you would have to disclose these notes and you donā€™t want to have to disclose conversations you had with lawyers etc.

1 Like