Inflation increase 2022

Just curious with the rise in cost of living, if anyone one else is feeling an increase in rate would make sense? My insurance company doesn’t seem to account for inflation (not sure how all that even works) and I’m definitely feeling a loss with the raise in living costs! Too scared to reach out to the insurance company (don’t want to rock the now peaceful boat), so was wondering if anyone had any insights about that.
Thanks!

1 Like

Cost of living increases is a feature that is purchased when you buy the policy. If it wasn’t part of the insurance then they won’t give it to you for free. I am grateful for the CPPD inflation adjustment that’s for sure.

2 Likes

Some policies include an increase each year, some don’t.
If you have a contact at the employer HR, you could ask for the policy summary for the year you went on disability.

1 Like

That is a good idea! Thanks :smiley:

I do have CPPD, but only $400/month…so not a significant enough of an amount to do anything even if there was an inflation increase…I’m happy for you though!

LTD policies either have or do not have inflation adjustment. It would need to be one of the feature of the policy when it was set up. If a policy does have inflation adjustment, then it mirrors the Bank of Canada annual inflation rate within certain maximum parameters. So if the maximum increase is 5% that is all you would get even if the Bank of Canada recorded inflation of 10% for the year.

David Brannen

Disability Lawyer with Resolute Legal

The response posted above is based on the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with a lawyer, fully explain your situation, and allow the lawyer enough time to research the applicable law and facts required to give an adequate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full one-on-one discussion with a lawyer should be done before taking any any action. The information posted on this forum is available to the viewing public and is not intended to create a lawyer client relationship with any person. If you want one-on-one advice, please click here to request a free consultation or call toll free 1-877-917-7050 to speak with a member with our disability claim support team.

2 Likes