HR dept suddenly reached out

So after nearly 6 years on LTD and CPP-D I got a call from the HR dept of my employer asking my status for return to work.

I nearly had a panic attack in that moment and let her know my Dr had just said he didn’t expect any further charges to my diagnosis. She then said they realized they hadn’t done a great job of checking in with employees on disability and that she’d be reaching out again in a month.

Does this mean I’m at risk of getting cut off?
I’m freaking out.

Plus… Is it normal for your employer to suddenly reach out to ask this and not my insurer for LTD?

Your LTD and CPP-D won’t be affected as far as I know.
CPP-D definitely won’t be affected.
Is your LTD administered by an insurance company?
The only way that would be affected is if the company paying for it goes bankrupt (I think that is what happened to Nortel).
Try not to worry.

The employer COULD fire you if they think you won’t return to work.
Then you would lose extended health benefits.

2 Likes

Sorry for the long delay to reply. The emails were suddenly going into my spam folder.

My LTD is administrated by a major insurance company. Strangely, ymy hr person never reached out again since…

Hopefully you never hear from anyone, :slight_smile:

1 Like

I really hope so too :crossed_fingers:

Man, this would stress me out! That is insane… 6 years! You have every right to almost have a panic attack. Honestly, I’ve never heard of that. My employer (unionized) contacted me regularly up until the 2 year mark, then as soon as I was approved for “any occ LTD” (post 2 year mark) they were gone. Haven’t heard a single peep since and never expected to. But if they suddenly phoned me tomorrow I’d be equally freaked out. They are probably doing some due dilligence thing or something, I wouldn’t stress about it. You handled it fine.

1 Like

Seriously. I have been messed up since.

There’s a statistic that suggests keeping in touch with absent employees makes them more likely to attempt a return to work. I know my employer believes in that – maybe that’s why your HR reached out. I wouldn’t worry about it. cheers

1 Like

Not sure where things stand with you now. But employers will reach out like this for a variety of reasons. It can often mean they are looking at whether your employment situation qualifies as a “frustration of contract” which gives them grounds to terminate employment. Or it could be they are not looking to do this and just needing to update your status for heir HR systems.

David Brannen

Disability Lawyer with Resolute Legal

The response posted above is based on the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with a lawyer, fully explain your situation, and allow the lawyer enough time to research the applicable law and facts required to give an adequate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full one-on-one discussion with a lawyer should be done before taking any any action. The information posted on this forum is available to the viewing public and is not intended to create a lawyer client relationship with any person. If you want one-on-one advice, please click here to request a free consultation or call toll free 1-877-917-7050 to speak with a member with our disability claim support team.

Update… They have not contacted me since other than my yearly “you got a raise” letter

I just want to clarify my comment above that event if your employer terminated your employment for ‘frustration of contract’ it would not affect your LTD benefits.

David Brannen

Disability Lawyer with Resolute Legal

The response posted above is based on the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with a lawyer, fully explain your situation, and allow the lawyer enough time to research the applicable law and facts required to give an adequate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full one-on-one discussion with a lawyer should be done before taking any any action. The information posted on this forum is available to the viewing public and is not intended to create a lawyer client relationship with any person. If you want one-on-one advice, please click here to request a free consultation or call toll free 1-877-917-7050 to speak with a member with our disability claim support team.

1 Like

Thank you David. I feel like I’ll always be in fear of the insurance company. :pensive: