Finally got on maintenance and it feels good

I have been on LTD for 4 years and my LTD disclosed to me that I am now on “maintenance” and I will only be contacted by them once per year from this point out for annual updates. No more monthly check-ins! It was a nice surprise to hear and I haven’t felt that much stress release in a while. Just wanted to share because it has been such a long journey. I think what clinched it for me was getting approved for CPP disability. They have left me alone since that happened. I hope the best for all of you and anyone struggling with their LTD company just keep your chin up and keep on fighting because eventually you will win and they will leave you alone!

4 Likes

Congratulations. Exact same thing happened for me. The constant check-ins were causing me more issues. After I got CPPD they all bit stopped. I hear from them yearly now.

1 Like

That is great news. After 5 years and after getting CPPD I was transferred to the long duration team (maybe the same thing as maintenance but not sure).
The did not explicitly tell me that I would only be required to do annual check ins. One year later and I have only had to do 1 annual check in so i hope that’s the case for me too.

1 Like

Hi Adam … I am just wondering if they used the word “maintenance” when they communicated to you they will only contact you for an annual update? As well, is your condition expected to “never” improve, is that part of why they did this? I don’t want to ask you what your disability is, so I am asking in this manner.

Thank you.

1 Like

I have been only getting an annual “survey” but I never got one for 2022 (I got the letter about an increase though).

1 Like

I understand what you mean by feeling relieved. I too was recently contacted and was informed that I now am on maintenance. Still, I’m a bit jumpy lol, the battle with work and LTD left me a bit scared. I guess I will experience full relaxation once the car claim is finished. It’s going on 7 years.

2 Likes

i am still somewhat anxious but it would be a mistake for them to try to cancel my claim so I’m mostly able to forget about it.

2 Likes

I noticed them backing off as well after being approved for cppd. Such a huge relief!

1 Like

Got one in Feb.
LOL.

1 Like

Hi Meow. Sorry for the late reply. When they communicated to me, the exact words they used were “You have been transferred to maintenance” and “This means from now on we will be requesting an update once a year, instead of every few months. Nothing else changes”. As for my illness, the definition of total disability for my plan (beyond “own occ”) makes it hard for me to ever imagine working again. I was quite highly paid and I would need to find a job that pays around 60% of that and it just isn’t possible given my condition. I think my LTD company knows this and so they haven’t even bothered to try and find a job I could do.

1 Like

Thank you Adam, I appreciate the response and details. Best wishes to you.