Family responsibility/ compassionate care leave while on voc rehab

Hello.
How does family responsibility/compassionate care leave might play out for voc rehab and possibly protecting my employment? I have ill and aging parent abroad that I would like to spend some time with. My doctor does not believe in my success returning to work at the moment. Can I request to pause the rehab and also apply for family responsibility leave at work, before I got terminated for frustration of contract. Will it even apply if i didn’t work in last 2 years?

I am so sorry that your family is not doing well. I hope you at least are able to stay close to them on FaceTime or zoom or even the phone.

There is a lot to be concerned about from the perspective of insurance. Unfortunately caretaking for a relative isn’t something that is insured, and we do have a duty to continue medical care and to try to return to work. I think the risks are substantial.

Some things I would ponder -

How long is left in your rehab program? Can it be continued remotely? Will it end early due to lack of progress? Does your LTD allow you to travel out of country or limit how long you are away? Will you be able to continue your medical care abroad? If you will be taking on caretaking for your relative, will the insurer conclude that you are able to work as a caretaker here? How much LTD coverage do you have left? Will it run out soon anyway or are you risking many years of financial security?

Also note that if you are on an approved LTD claim, that will continue even after (if) you get terminated for frustration of contract.

I would be hesitant to take action without consulting a lawyer.

1 Like

Thank you Caro for taking the time to answer. You sure brought up many excellent points. It’s probably going to take me some time to reflect and process it. Thanks goodness for this forum David organized, and people like you being compassionate and knowledgeable. It makes me feel I have someone by my side.