Employment terminated?

My employer stopped contributing to my pension after 7 months (they reversed the last contribution), does that mean my employment was terminated?

My employer contributed to my pension plan for 6 month while I was on Short-Term. They stopped when I started LTD.

I guess, you’ll get a letter of some sort if they decide to terminate your employment.

Except for the pension plan contributions, I don’t think I get anything from my employer since I applied for CPP-D.

Me neither, nothing at all. I only have an employee number :slight_smile:

Doesn’t mean you are terminated. The rules for pension plan contributions are vary Employer/Pension Plan to Employer/Pension Plan. In most cases if you are on an approved LTD claim, then the employer will continue to pay its portion of the pension contribution as long as you pay your contribution from your LTD benefit. Not saying that is what would apply in your situation, but that is how it often works. In some cases, the employer has to make the full payment, or the insurance will make your payment (in addition to the LTD benefit), so it can be all over the place. Check with your employer and Pension Plan Administrator.

David Brannen

Disability Lawyer with Resolute Legal

The response posted above is based on the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliabile manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with a lawyer, fully explain your situation, and allow the lawyer enough time to research the applicable law and facts required to give an adequate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full one-on-one discussion with a lawyer should be done before taking any any action. The information posted on this forum is available to the viewing public and is not intended to create a lawyer client relationship with any person. If you want one-on-one advice, please click here to request a free consultation or call toll free 1-877-282-5188 to speak with a member with our disability claim support team.

It’s funny, there is a deposit to my pension plan again, it’ll be interesting to see if they reverse that too.
I can’t tell if it even corresponds to a work-pay week anymore.

Are extended health benefits tied to employment/group plan and will be lost when employment is terminated?
I’m sure I’ve asked that before but I forgot the answer. :frowning:

Yes, a condition of all group benefit plans is being an “employee”, even if you are an employee on sick leave. Once the employment status ends, so does eligibility to be a member of the group plan. The only exception is some group plans have a special designation for “retired” employees, so you can continue in the group plan under the “retired employees category”…but this is very rare.

David Brannen

Disability Lawyer with Resolute Legal

The response posted above is based on the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliabile manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with a lawyer, fully explain your situation, and allow the lawyer enough time to research the applicable law and facts required to give an adequate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full one-on-one discussion with a lawyer should be done before taking any any action. The information posted on this forum is available to the viewing public and is not intended to create a lawyer client relationship with any person. If you want one-on-one advice, please click here to request a free consultation or call toll free 1-877-282-5188 to speak with a member with our disability claim support team.

Hi David,
If the company wants to lay me off, do you think I could negotiate to keep my group plan membership if I pay the premium?
They pay about $120/month.
The cost of medical/dental last year was over $200/month.

Jammer–are they wanting to lay you off because your are costing them premiums?

Nope, I just expect it.
My company routinely lays people off every year.

They can’t just lay you off. They may violate your rights by doing so unless you cost them a lot to keep you employed while you are on LTD.

Oh, wow. And I use my benefits extensively. It’s better to stay employed for now.