Cancer after 65

Hi, I started receiving my CPP in 2010 at age 60, In 2014 diagnosed with lung cancer. In July 2017(now) can no longer work. Am I eligible for disability pension ? I am asking this question because the guidelines say I have to apply before age 65. Not sure if this applies to myself. Any ideas?

I am so sorry to hear about your diagnosis of lung cancer. The best advice I can give is just call CPP. Depending on when you call there can be high volume but I did finally get someone and the number I called in Ontario: 1-800-277-9914 or you can drop into a Service Canada office and check with them. When I did reach someone I found them very helpful. You will need to have your SIN number handy re: phone and as well in the office with 2 pieces of ID. Good luck with finding out this info and I hope they can successfully treat your lung cancer. All the Best!

Hi Gerald, there are a couple of problems here. If you start receiving CPP-R at age 60, you have only 15 months from that date to apply for CPP-D, or you lose the right to do so. Also, you need to be below age 65 to be eligible to apply for CPP-D, but your application would be barred for the reason above anyways.

David Brannen

Disability Lawyer with Resolute Legal

The response posted above is based on the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliabile manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with a lawyer, fully explain your situation, and allow the lawyer enough time to research the applicable law and facts required to give an adequate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full one-on-one discussion with a lawyer should be done before taking any any action. The information posted on this forum is available to the viewing public and is not intended to create a lawyer client relationship with any person. If you want one-on-one advice, please click here to request a free consultation or call toll free 1-877-282-5188 to speak with a member with our disability claim support team.