Canadian Disability Benefit

I see that Bill C22 passed. How does this affect (if at all) those of us getting LTD and Cppd?

2 Likes

I think they will model the new bill after the seniors GIS so if you have a working spouse you probably wonā€™t get anything. The rest will be interesting to see how if affects people on CPPD but I would assume if we get any the LTD insurer is already lined up to count it as an offset and lower the LTD premiums they pay. What are others thoughts?

@Harvey23 totally agree on all points. As itā€™s meant to protect the most vulnerable of society so Iā€™d guess any total household income over approx $30k would completely disqualify an applicant.

Also agree that the LTD insurers will clawback these benefits as most policies Iā€™ve read state they get to offset ā€œany government sponsored plan, such asā€¦ā€

Itā€™s probably deducted:

for the same or a subsequent disability under any government- sponsored plan, excluding dependent benefits, employment insurance benefits and automatic cost-of-living increases under any government-sponsored plan that occur after benefits begin.

Didnā€™t we get something earlier?
I didnā€™t report anything and they really should have asked me.

I think there was an amendment preventing it being clawed back.
It seems close to passing but I canā€™t find any details of how much or who will qualify.

Should pass next week, I think Tuesday. Senate has said they will pass it. Then there is going to be a 6 month period to determine how it will work, and that will be released Dec 2023 or January 2024. At that point, the provinces will need to each implement legislation around it and determine the benefits, which could take anywhere from 6 months to who knows how long. Bottom line it is probably unrealistic to expect benefits from this program until July, 2024, but more likely Iā€™d say January, 2025 seems realistic. As for how much it will be, no one knows, but if I had to guess Iā€™d say thereā€™s a good chance it will ensure that every disabled person in Canada is above the poverty line, whatever amount that is. It may vary by province. So somewhere around the $2,000 a month mark. But it will probably be higher, because I think the optics of having it be the ā€œbare minimumā€ are poor. Disabled people deserve to live ABOVE the poverty line, not sitting directly on it, or $1 above. I personally would like to see it be tied to the minimum wage at 40 hours a week, since if a person wasnā€™t disabled that is what they theoretically could earn. So if we assume $16.55 an hour (Ontario as of October 2023), then that would be $662 a week, or around $2868 a month. But that seems a bit high, and you obviously want to incentivize people to work, but being disabled literally means you canā€™t.

2 Likes

Wouldnā€™t that be something. An almost living wage even while disabled :two_hearts:

2 Likes

The LTD clawback was added back in by the Liberals and it is now back to Senate to approve.

There are no details on amounts or who will qualify, other than it is for people ages 18-64.

In terms of what the payment will look like, it is not going to be a specific amount per month ($2000/month), rather it will be a top up to a fixed amount. The Liberals have described it as being like the Guaranteed Income Supplement. So, it will guarantee income up to a certain amount. For example, lets say they set it at $21,000 (this is just an example). So the DTC will top you up to get you to $21,000, if you already have income of $19,000 per month, you would get an extra $2000 from the DTC. However, if your income was $15,000 per month, then your DTC would be $6,000 per month. SO the amount will vary depending on what your income already is. I believe that is how it will work, based on what the Liberal Minister has described when discussing the DTC.

David Brannen

Disability Lawyer with Resolute Legal

The response posted above is based on the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with a lawyer, fully explain your situation, and allow the lawyer enough time to research the applicable law and facts required to give an adequate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full one-on-one discussion with a lawyer should be done before taking any any action. The information posted on this forum is available to the viewing public and is not intended to create a lawyer client relationship with any person. If you want one-on-one advice, please click here to request a free consultation or call toll free 1-877-917-7050 to speak with a member with our disability claim support team.

This is what my clawback clause says:

for the same or a subsequent disability under any government- sponsored plan, excluding dependent benefits, employment insurance benefits and automatic cost-of-living increases under any government-sponsored plan that occur after benefits begin.

Does it exclude government plans that started after benefits began?
Itā€™s not a very clear sentence.

It is unfortunate that although our federal government spent millions on studies and reports that definitively proved that Canadians living with disability whether, from birth, aging, acquired (workplace accident) or chronic and degenerative conditions pay more. It simply costs more by default to live with a disability.

And yet the benefit tonassist thise living with disability is means tested. ā€˜You only deserve help if you are financially compromised through the disability that for not fault of your own you live withā€™

How Canadian.

1 Like