Can you collect CERB and CPP Disability?

So, not sure if anyone has answered this question, so I’ll ask it. Would collecting the CERB count as employment income and is there a criteria in the CERB legislation that, like EI, states that an applicant must be willing and able to work?
I have read the CERB legislation and it only says that you have to have stopped working due to Covid-19 and that you had to have earned at least $5000 in the previous year (well below the $5800 allowed by CPP Disability) Nothing in the CERB legislation says that you must be ready and able to do regular work. Am I missing something here? Appreciate someone letting me know if I am.
The other big question is would Service Canada see the $2000 monthly benefit as employment income? My intuition says it shouldn’t. Receiving this benefit does not in any way indicate you are able to do regular work. In fact, the amount isn’t based on hours worked, it is just a lump amount. If rental income is exempt, it would seem strange and unfair for the CERB to be held as employment income, Again, if I’m missing something here please let me know.
This isn’t about us on CPP Disability being greedy, btw. The extra $450 I was earning over my disability benefit often made the difference in us being able to pay our bills. And the government has offered only one option. Take the $2000 or take nothing. So, I have applied for the CERB because we need the money and I couldn’t see any reason why I shouldn’t.
I think I might still call Service Canada (if I can get through) to ask if getting that $2000 is going to be a problem

4 Likes

As nike says, just do it.

2 Likes

Looking for the answer also. BC has waived CERB being counted as earnings for people receiving provincial disability benefit but I have been unable to get an answer from CPP.

If you are able to get through to Service Canada, please let us know what they say about getting CERB while on CPP-D.
I applied and received the CERB, btw. Anyone who has a sin and applies will get it, though if they determine you were ineligible down the road they will ask for that money back.
I answered the few questions on the application honestly and I met all the published eligibility, so we will see. I’m less concerned about CPP-D clawing back the money or saying this is employment income, because clearly it is not. I get 2% on my savings account with my credit union, so I plan to just bank what I can and at the very least I will earn a bit of interest.

1 Like

Sounds like you are taking a smart approach. Glad it’s working out for you. I’ll post if I get any answers.

1 Like

I can’t emphasize enough that we should absolutely not feel guilty about applying for this benefit. If we meet the eligibility we are as entitled as any other worker who has lost income due to Covid-19.
The fact that the CERB benefit would be significantly more than we would be losing in monthly employment income is irrelevant. A significant minority of workers applying for this benefit will see their monthly income go up. A part-time worker working 20 hours a week earning 15 an hour will see an extra $800 a month under the CERB, almost double their regular monthly income. The federal government isn’t stupid. They know that this benefit is as much a stimulus package as it is income replacement. And in that sense it is immensely unfair to the thousands living in poverty on disability who will see no extra income support during this crisis.
I’m not a fan of the US system, but down there any individual who earned less than $75k in 2019 is getting $1200, no questions asked. We, as disabled deserve to be treated just as fairly.

2 Likes

$10/year interest @2%/year.
You shouldn’t apply for it if you don’t need it IMO.

1 Like

How have you lost income?
My expenses have gone up but my income is the same.

1 Like
  • You have not quit your job voluntarily
  • You have earned a minimum of $5,000 in income in the 12 months prior to your application or in the 2019 calendar year from:
    • Employment income and/or
    • Self-employment income

I don’t work.

3 Likes

It sounds like us on CPPD that work and make 5000 are entitled to the CERB. I can not live on my CPPD alone!

2 Likes

You are joking, right. “You shouldn’t apply if you don’t need it”? Maybe you have a million dollars sitting in your bank account, but most of us on CPP-D do not. My monthly CPP-D benefit and the $450 a month I was allowed to earn left me well below the poverty line. Losing that $450 a month has pushed me to the edge of not be able to pay my bills. Do I need the entire $2000 a month offered by the CERB? Probably not. But you aren’t offered a choice to take less. You either apply and receive the $2000 or you get nothing.
A retail clerk who lost their job due to Covid-19 and who was paid $15 an hour and worked 20 hours a week and who applies for the CERB, will receive $800 a month more than they lost. Do they need all of that extra $800? Maybe not. Should they still apply? Of course.

3 Likes

Totally understand as I am in the same situation. That $450 a month is extremely necessary. I have called CPP and even my MP and nobody knows how or even if CERB with affect CPP-D. Three weeks ago I was told that someone from CPP would call me back but I’ve yet to receive that call.

2 Likes

I’m solely on CPP-D and LTD through work. AFAIK I wouldn’t qualify so I haven’t applied. It seems wrong to me when my income has not changed

1 Like

I have just over $5000 in self employment income from 2019 but I haven’t filed my taxes yet, so CRA won’t know I made that $5000 in 2019 yet.

I am in CPPD and had to stop my self employment to care for my children due to self isolation.

I know I qualify but my concern is, after I make $5800 from CERB will my CPPD be clawed back dollar for dollar?

1 Like

I think you are seeking a level of certainty that does not exist. The program was rolled out very quickly because it had to be and without the usual attempts to foresee every possible variation. Part of the problem in interpreting it is that the enhanced benefits were meant to serve a dual purpose of getting EI out and of stimulus to the economy. If I were interpreting it, I would say first you clearly are not ‘earning’ the benefits for paid work and if CPPD does claw back the excess your worst case scenario should be to replace your lost permitted income. I would also say that I would not expect to see a ton of rules making or enforcement around this one-off pandemic so if I were affected, I would apply, notify CPPD that I was receiving this unearned income, and keep the extra aside until they confirm that they won’t be asking for it back - and once that is confirmed, still keep aside some of it for the taxes since it’s taxable. The government did intend to pay some people more than they had made before COVID so I think that is constant with the objectives of the program for those who did have some extra income.

2 Likes

I’m not joking.
I said not to apply if you don’t need it.
Sounds like you need it.

2 Likes

CERB is not employment income IMO.
Who knows what Service Canada will do though.

2 Likes

Thanks Caro. I’m assuming the best way to contact Service Canada is by phone? I would prefer email so I have something in writing but I’ve never emailed them before.

This is not Service Canada so I don’t know.
I would think phone is best but anything is probably slow. :frowning:

We recommend all communications with ODSP be in writing by mail or fax, as phone calls are rarely answered.

https://mailchi.mp/kpopelaw/emergency-osdplow-income-relief-options-1300702?e=14f639a3d9

If your on LTD and receive the CERB you will lose dollar for dollar. I thought it was only for those whose income has been affected by the Covid19. This is way people that are retired do not qualify.

1 Like