Any Occupation - Forced labour?

Trying to decide if it’s worth it to get Own Occupation. As you know it costs a lot more, and I don’t want to end up doing a job that pays very little. (Insurance broker told me I can be forced to work as a walmart greeter)

I work as a computer programmer making big bucks. Here is the thing, I just have to be able to sit and type. I have to be pretty messed up in order to not sit and type at a desk.

Does anyone know of any situations where the insurance company forces to work a low paying job, or one that is not pleasant? If so, is it worth it to pay the extra to get Own Occupation?

1 Like

I assume this is to buy your own insurance to supplement your group insurance.

You will also probably get a high CPP-D.
I wouldn’t get “own occupation” coverage but maybe you need it to maintain your current lifestyle.
Just my opinion.

1 Like

I would have to see the actual wording of the “Any Occupation” clause, BUT I can tell you that these definitions are nuanced and include an income threshold component and also take into account age, work experience, limitations, etc. If you have a high income, then work as a walmart greeter would not be considered “any occupation” under most individual or group policies. Again, it depends on the wording and it sounds like you are buying an individual plan, but you can absolutely get an any occ coverage that would not limit you to work as a walmart greeter.

I personally have an “own Occ” only LTD plan which is basically the best you can get, but that is not right for everyone depending on what you can afford.

David Brannen

Disability Lawyer with Resolute Legal

_The response posted above is based on the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliabile manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with a lawyer, fully explain your situation, and allow the lawyer enough time to research the applicable law and facts required to give an adequate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full one-on-one discussion with a lawyer should be done before taking any any action. The information posted on this forum is available to the viewing public and is not intended to create a lawyer client relationship with any person. If you want one-on-one advice, please click here to request a free consultation or call toll free 1-877-282-5188 to speak with a member with our disability claim support team._strong text

1 Like