Adhd enough for DTC?

Someone I know had psychologist fill out the necessary paperwork. It was denied.

What went wrong

The forum would need alot more information to give an opinion. It could be anything from the insurance company breaching the LTD contract to the psychologist not providing adequate information that demonstrates the inability to continue oneā€™s job.

Ediit: oops should have read the title better. what Caro says below makes total sense.

ADHD has a very broad spectrum and the DTC is targeted at severe impairment in daily life. Most people with ADHD probably wouldnā€™t qualify but some would. The eligibility is based on impairment not on the diagnosis causing the impairment.

1 Like

You probably either need to show severe impairment in 1 category that affects living or milder impairment in multiple categories that affect daily living.
Thatā€™s how it used to be.
Maybe they deny all first applications, I donā€™t know. :slight_smile:

So the person with ADHD is an adult, not a child, correct?

As Caro mentioned, the Disability Tax Credit is for those that have a severe and prolonged impairment in day to day activities. I would assume the person with ADHD applied under the ā€œmental functionsā€ category as the other categories probably wouldnā€™t be relevant (ie. difficulty in walking, dressing, feeding, eliminating bowels, hearing, speaking, vision, life-sustaining therapy). On the Canadian government website, the example given of someone who may be eligible under the ā€œmental functionsā€ category is someone that needs assistance with going out into the community and making a simple purchase. If a person with ADHD has such a marked restriction in mental functioning, there is probably another underlying medical issue.

Hereā€™s the example on the government website:
ā€œCheryl and Christie have been together for 30 years.
A couple of years ago, Cheryl noticed Christie was becoming confused when they were out of the house and interacting with others. Now Christie is often disoriented and misunderstands situations. When grocery shopping, she needs constant reminding about what to do and help interpreting her environment.
Christie applied for the DTC. As a result of the information provided by the medical practitioner on the application form, she is now eligible for the tax credit.ā€

If the person cannot sustain a job due to ADHD, then they should be applying for CPP-D rather than DTC.

1 Like

Apply for both because the DTC lets you open an RDSP and get grants (money) every year from the government.
Plus family that is working can contribute and get matching bonds from the government.

The person already applied for DTC and was not approved ā€¦
I guess it didnā€™t hurt to apply for DTC but if the person is an adult with ADHD, then I think CPP-D is more relevant as ADHD on its own would probably not cause severe mental impairment (such as disorientation, confusion, not able to handle simple transactions at the store etc) as described on the government website that explains eligibility for DTC.

1 Like

When I was denied the first time for having a hearing disability in both ears, I sent an email to the Prime Minister of Canada and then I was approved :blush:

1 Like

@mikeyont It is shocking that you received a denial in the first placeā€¦

May I inquire as to the year in which you successfully ā€˜petitionedā€™, if that is the correct word, the Prime Minister?

Thank you!

Iā€™m a recipient of odsp, and not only Iā€™m deaf in both ears since birth, but I also have anxiety. Itā€™s an agent in Sudbury who denied my application. But then Iā€™ve made a complaint to Justin Trudeauā€™s office and someone from his office changed it to ā€œacceptedā€, at the same time they automatically made a tax reviews of the past 10 years.

I am here and reading your replies as well as sending these thoughts to them since theyā€™re not on this forum