What if I Return to Work?

I’m just in process of sending in CPP disability forms and am wondering what if I decide to return to my workplace if a different type of job is available? I am a little over one year from retirement. I likely won’t be approved for disability CPP and wonder about returning for a short time before retiring.

Have you been approved for STD or LTD through work?
Work has a duty to accommodate disabled people within limits.
I think you need to ask for a specific accommodation but I don’t know the process.
If it is a large company, HR should be able to help.

Yes, I was on STD but now on LTD. My employer would have to take me back as “duty to accommodate”

You do realize your employer can offer you a low paying job and that might fulfill their duty to accommodate.
But if your employer is on the nicer side and depending on what accommodation you ask for and how easy it is for them, you might get a really good new job.
I would talk to HR.

You would need to inform Service Canada about any attempts to return to work. If you have the capacity to earn up to $15000 per year then by definition you do not have a “severe and prolonged” disability. Once you start earning more than $5000 or so, they will look at your situation very closely to verify you lack the capacity to actually earn more.

David Brannen

Disability Lawyer with Resolute Legal

The response posted above is based on the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with a lawyer, fully explain your situation, and allow the lawyer enough time to research the applicable law and facts required to give an adequate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full one-on-one discussion with a lawyer should be done before taking any any action. The information posted on this forum is available to the viewing public and is not intended to create a lawyer client relationship with any person. If you want one-on-one advice, please click here to request a free consultation or call toll free 1-877-282-5188 to speak with a member with our disability claim support team.