Reporting Income from other sources to my disability insurance company

It is tax time.
If someone goes on STD before the tax refund is paid, is it necessary to report that income to the insurance company and will it be deducted from payments?

When in doubt, it is always best to report any income to the insurance company. They will tell you if they view it as something they can deduct. Without seeing your insurance policy or LTD plan documentation, I can’t give you an answer with 100% certainty. Generally speaking, tax refunds are not new income. It is income you already earned in the past, so I don’t believe it would be deductible in most cases.

1 Like