In the documents I have from my employer and the insurance company, the give specific steps once someone who’s claim is denied.
1) There is a first appeal with the insurer/Case Manager
2) There is a second level of appeal, still with the insurer/Disability appeals team
3) Then there is a review by the DI plan board of management (employer+union)
4) I’m also able to make a complaint directly with the insurer’s ombudsman
It never ends…
5) Finally, while it is not included in the documents I was provided, I believe there is also the option of filing a complaint with the OmbudService for Life and Health insurance.
Not much information about timelines and delays. Obviously following all of these steps could easily take many many months. Meanwhile I still have no income. I’m assuming I don’t have to go through each steps…
6) Of course there is also the legal route, whether through small claims court (which has a max amount I can claim).
7) There is also court, which is not really possible when you’ve been without income for almost 6 months.
What do most people choose to do? Any recommendations?