Is Hair washing claimable off you have the DTC?

I have the DTC and due to arthritis I can no longer wash and blow dry my hair. I can’t afford the $50 salons charge (yes even the cheap ones are this much) so I’m hoping there’s a way I can get my hair washed once a week and claim it. Maybe it will be affordable if I can claim a bit back on my taxes.

Does anyone here know? I am not in a care home and that’s the only mention once read on Canada.ca website that says if it’s part of your monthly rent at a care home you can claim it.

I would phone community care access and see if they offer it as a home care thing or ask if they have any suggestions.
It doesn’t seem you can claim it as a medical expense but even if you could I think the tax rebate is a fraction of the cost.
I don’t think the DTC helps with this, it is just a tax rebate by itself.
Good luck.

In short, as jammer said, no. There’s just some things that can’t be claimed as medical expenses. Even if it could, it likely wouldn’t help. Also… $50 for a wash and blow dry? Yowza! My local great clips charges $7 for a shampoo and I think $4 for a blow dry. Maybe $15 with tip and tax. Definitely shop around!

$15 for a woman’s wash and blow dry would be a dream!

I have been shopping around, for years!!

There’s no way you would find anything even close to that here in Kingston. The absolute cheapest I have found is $35 with tax and tip and they barely wash your hair let alone give your scalp a good scrub.

1 Like

Creatclips in Peterborough is $24 for a cut and $9 for a shampoo.
They have a seniors discount.
They don’t seem to have on in Kingston.

I would ask community care access because you’re not the only person that needs this.

1 Like

It won’t be $9 for a womens wash and style unfortunately. Plus does not include tax or tip and the drying part is the most expensive of it.

Please people, stop acting as though I haven’t done my research as far as salon prices go. I told you I have. What is elsewhere is not Kingston and is of no help. In fact it’s insulting, so please stop quoting prices.

I have contacted community care before, they attended my home for an assessment and they do not offer hair washing or drying. That was a good suggestion, and I understand you are just trying to help although if you read what I asked it does not answer my question.

I believe my question has been answered so I will remove this post if I can. Thank you everyone for your help.

That’s tough when you struggle to care for your basic needs. If you haven’t already consulted one an occupational therapist might have some ideas to make it more manageable, they had some good tips for managing ADLs with my lung disease.

1 Like

It’s unfortunate, a lot of things that should be covered aren’t. The government doesn’t even cover CPAP machines. Knowing the government, they would probably tell you to shave your head as hair isn’t a requirement. That’s what they do for people who lose a lot of weight, they won’t pay for skin surgery unless it is a medical requirement.