Insurance contracted a rehabilitation company

Last week, July 11.19 The Rehabilitation Company (which was contracted by my LTD insurance to assess my disabilty, 8 months ago), has concluded that I am not able to return to my physical job.(after attending 24 physical therapy appointments, paid for by insurance co, recommenesed by rehabilitation co. R) My caseworker with the Rehab.Co said the physical therapist report said I can’t return to my job. Therefore, I may now be retrained for a new position. (My 2 years LTD fate is Oct 2019)
I said I am ok with this but ask why we haven’t contact my employer first? I worked 25 years with them and I hoped they would accomadate my physical restrictions? I am also unionized and I have not had any meetings or communication with either my union or my employer. She said she didnt know and would talk to the insurance company and get back to me.( i have had 5-6 different insurance caseworkers)
What should I do? Contact my union rep to look into this?
Wait to hear what my LTD insurance company says?
Call my insurance company myself?

1 Like

I would.
The insurance company may just want to cut you off after 2 years.
I’d be surprised if they will retrain (read your policy close).
You’re in a union though so that is probably a big plus.

Best of luck.

1 Like

As @jammer has said, definitely contact your union rep. They can look into things and likely give you some advice in areas they are familiar with. Often, even having it known that a union rep is following your situation can be of use in dealing with your employer/insurance.

1 Like

Catherine,

Don’t let the insurance company take total control of this. You should advise them you want to first explore any accommodations with your current employer. It is very unlikely that the insurance company will do more than a token effort with retaining or job search for other work. You should cooperate with the insurance company, but it is ok for you to say that you need to explore accommodations first with current employer.

David Brannen

Disability Lawyer with Resolute Legal

The response posted above is based on the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with a lawyer, fully explain your situation, and allow the lawyer enough time to research the applicable law and facts required to give an adequate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full one-on-one discussion with a lawyer should be done before taking any any action. The information posted on this forum is available to the viewing public and is not intended to create a lawyer client relationship with any person. If you want one-on-one advice, please click here to request a free consultation or call toll free 1-877-282-5188 to speak with a member with our disability claim support team.

1 Like

Thank you everyone! All what I also thought. .
I will contact a union rep.

Cathy

1 Like

Lawyer’s love this stuff and work on contingency fees (that means they get paid by the insurance company’s money) - go see a lawyer immediately. They will get you a much better deal than you can get on your own and the contingency fee will pay for itself. Without a lawyer the insurance companies will just string you along. The lawyer will get strung along also but not for as long as you will on your own.

I don’t think a contingency fee is really the insurance company’s money.
It is deducted from the settlement.

Already have had a phone consultation to give me direction.
Thank you

Yes, this is accurate. The contingency applies to compensation and damages paid. The only clarification is that – when settlement or claim approval happens in context of litigation – the insurer will often have to pay legal costs on top of any compensation or damages.

Contingency fees SHOULD NOT be applied to the legal costs. That should be paid directly to the client and acts as a partial or full reimbursements of the legal fees paid.

David Brannen

Disability Lawyer with Resolute Legal

The response posted above is based on the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with a lawyer, fully explain your situation, and allow the lawyer enough time to research the applicable law and facts required to give an adequate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full one-on-one discussion with a lawyer should be done before taking any any action. The information posted on this forum is available to the viewing public and is not intended to create a lawyer client relationship with any person. If you want one-on-one advice, please click here to request a free consultation or call toll free 1-877-282-5188 to speak with a member with our disability claim support team.