Insurance company denied me short term disability benefits

FYI: I had 3 letters from my physician and 4 reports from my psychologist and then refused my 3rd and final appeal with these.

That’s when you sue, and it becomes a court case.

1 Like

There is always the issue that your employer denied your request for work accommodation to a less stressful area. Your employer has “the duty to accommodate up to undue hardship” . Sounds like that’s not the case here. This is the “STD” timeframe so you are covered under employment standards laws, privacy laws, and human rights laws. I suggest people review the websites of your provincial employment and/or human rights and/or privacy commissions to possibly file a complaint for resolution that way. If anything, everyone on this forum will benefit from reviewing these websites to have a more informed consultation when speaking with a lawyer!

1 Like

Would I still be able to get benefits if there is something else going on in my life.I share and bought a house with a member of my family last year and it’s not working out.Its stressing
me out physically and mentally,adding work to this.Im having dark thoughts and need to get out of the house.I need to be happy and I’m not.
If I told my insurance company this would I still get benefits on top of dealing with work?

1 Like

I believe you will still be able to get STD. As far as I know anything stressing you out and making you ill whether it’s on the job or off the job should qualify. The only exception is WCB.

Thank you for your help

1 Like