Gainful employment

I know in May 2014, gainful employment was defined for CPP disability. Was there a specific dollar amount defined before this amendment?

Isn’t it if you can make more than the CPPD payments would be.
I don’t know.

It was discussed on the forum previously. Use “search” to find it. There was a specific amount.

After May 29th 2017 there was a specific amount… 12 x monthly benefit… but before hand there was no specific amount or at least i cant find it… if someone had that definition, that would be great, as i fell i have exhausted my search.

https://resolutelegal.ca/substantially-gainful-employment-cpp-disability/

That is the article i read which sparked my question… it still doesn’t provide a quantitative answer which is what i am looking for… thanks for trying to help though… Hopefully someone can answer this accordingly

The answer is in this post.

i did request to speak to someone, but was told its better for me to be on this forum. Let me ask the question again as I understand substantially gainfull has been defined in regulation since May 29th 2014… However was there a definition before this date??? this is a very important question… and if someone is able to contact me directly, i can explain why this is an important question… thanks agin

Well, the article says:

Before May 2014, “substantial gainful employment” was determined on a case by case basis, depending on the facts of the case, the persons prior earnings, and interpretation of the presiding judge. This all changed in May 2014 when the government passed a new Regulation.

Looks like there was no definition before May 2014 and gainful employment was determined on a case by case basis.

1 Like

Who did you speak? There is a free consult form available.

We don’t work here. Just visit the forum to share the information with each other. It helps.

Thanks so much.

Hopefully get through on a free consultation…

Before May 2014 there was no specific dollar amount. It was determined on a case-by-case basis and there were many inconsistencies. In some cases they would try to base gainful income on your previous earnings, in others they would look at other statistical measures, in other cases they would use the max CPP income (which is what has now be legislated). This is why they brought in the specific dollar amount.

David Brannen

Disability Lawyer with Resolute Legal

The response posted above is based on the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliabile manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with a lawyer, fully explain your situation, and allow the lawyer enough time to research the applicable law and facts required to give an adequate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full one-on-one discussion with a lawyer should be done before taking any any action. The information posted on this forum is available to the viewing public and is not intended to create a lawyer client relationship with any person. If you want one-on-one advice, please click here to request a free consultation or call toll free 1-877-282-5188 to speak with a member with our disability claim support team.