Disability Tax Credit and LTD

Another problem as well is the fact that I simply don’t have it to pay what they’re asking for. I have nothing in valuables, no properties, no real estate and no holdings.

Go to welfare, food bank. Check with your ltd insurer if the payment was returned to them. If CRA puts a hold on your bank account any future direct deposit goes back to the source.

Fight CRA or claim bankruptcy on them

They often reduce LTD by estimated CPP-D amount. As I understand in case if you denied CPP-D an insurer will have to return those estimated deduction back to you. At least this is what my case manager told me. It can be different in Quebec. You need to consult your local lawyers as we wouldn’t know QC regulations. If I am not mistaken Resolute Legal doesn’t deal with QC law.

If she rents your place out then this is where the tax issue comes from. It is a rental income and has to be submitted with your tax return.

How would they know? Your tenant can submit the rent amount they pay to CRA and get some percentage back depending on their income. They would have to include the address and landlord’s name on tax return. CRA’s system can track it to your name even if they didn’t mention your name. This is how they would know you didn’t pay taxes.

On the other hand, if your LTD is non-taxable you’ll pay minimum or no tax on your rental income. If you apply for DTC then even lower.

Call them and find solution to this. Explain your health issues and how they affected your life.

Search for free legal clinics in your area. They may be able to tell you more on QC laws.

Some disability assistance programs cover meds, food and other living expenses. Don’t give up.

Maybe a good idea if you qualify. Not sure if it will affect your taxes owed.

Also if you live in your sister’s house and she takes care of you then she should look into caregiver amount for her tax return. Check with CRA.

She doesn’t rent my place out…i don’t own any properties or anything of the sort. She rented a house with me in order to accomadate me because her last place wasn’t big enough.

Oh, I see. Hope you’ll resolve this. Don’t give up. All the best.

Reviving an old thread.

I was recently approved for DTC going back to 2015. In 2016, I went from own occupation to any occupation and my employer paid me my holiday pay. I promptly informed my LTD provider at the time and they reduced my LTD payment by the same amount. It seems when CRA reassess my taxes I may have to inform my LTD provider depending on my policy.

If you were getting LTD for the years your taxes are being redone.

1 Like

Your employer paid you holiday pay when you are on LTD?

1 Like

Yea Jammer, I was on LTD when my taxes are redone.

After two years on LTD and my status changed to any occupation they paid me my holiday pay. I informed my insurance and they reduced my LTD by the holiday pay amount.

I think Jammer was asking because most employers pay out the holiday pay as soon as you go onto LTD because you’re no longer considered an active employee. They may have discovered that it hadn’t been done and were catching up. I’m surprised that the LTD provider took the payment tho because it should have been paid prior to becoming LTD active. Something to find out by asking for a copy of the insurance policy.

1 Like

Thank you Caramel. I will get a copy of my insurance policy.

I think Jammer was asking because most employers pay out the holiday pay as soon as you go onto LTD because you’re no longer considered an active employee.

That’s how things were done before we became unionised. The union agreement changed that.

I just checked my CRA online account and they reassessed my returns. A few hundred bucks coming my way soon.

Excellent news that you will be receiving money.

1 Like

Hello Devid,
.I am paying for my Ayurveda treatment for anxiety from my pocket, no OHIP and insurance coverage. Its big financial stress on me,I request the insurance to cover me because I am hardly using the insurance coverage for conventional medicine. my insurance refuse to cover me for that but they are ready to use the money for other things like frequent examination. what should done in this case. Ayurveda treatment is way cheaper than conventional

please guide

I have run into this situation many times. Ayurveda is considered conventional treatment in Canada so insurance companies do not have to recognize it under medical or disability plans. Unless you have a medical plan that allows for alternative medicine (yes they exist), then the insurance company has the right to refuse. You have the right to choose your own treatment, but for purposes of a disability claim an insurance company is within their rights to not recognise it, the person was only doing only Ayurveda, and not conventional treatment at same time.

David Brannen

Disability Lawyer with Resolute Legal

The response posted above is based on the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with a lawyer, fully explain your situation, and allow the lawyer enough time to research the applicable law and facts required to give an adequate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full one-on-one discussion with a lawyer should be done before taking any any action. The information posted on this forum is available to the viewing public and is not intended to create a lawyer client relationship with any person. If you want one-on-one advice, please click here to request a free consultation or call toll free 1-877-282-5188 to speak with a member with our disability claim support team.

1 Like