Can LTD be put on hold / Cut off

Ive been on LTD / CPP since 2006. I need to go to another country for reasons relating to family and will most likely be out of the country for 6-12 months.

1. Can my LTD be put on hold?
  2. If i notify the insurance company can they cut me off?
  3. Would it make sense to request a buyout?

a little confused but would like to approach the insurance company regardless of consequences.

thanks

1-2. Ask the insurance company. My benefits booklet says I need written permission from them to leave the country for >3 months. If you leave without permission then I think it is likely they would cut you off (if they found out). I would think by now that your file is with the “permanent” ones.

1. Never.

What if I don’t want to go back to my previous employer? Then buyout will probably make sense.

You’ll be lucky to get half in a buyout of what they would have paid long term.
Ya, you get peace of mind if being cut off is a worry.

There are threads here with comments by David.

Well, dah! :slight_smile: Even my therapist freaks out every time when she gets a request from my insurer for clinical records. She told me that she’s afraid that they would scrutinize her decisions.

I don’t mind continuing my treatment but without insurers supervision.

We talked about this a lot on the forum. Buyout doesn’t make sense for everyone. Sometimes it is better to keep your monthly benefits.

If you are bought out, you will probably lose extended health benefits:

Thank you for your reply. Just going back to my original question, can an insurance company put your payments on hold for 6-12 months if you request them and you need to leave the country quite urgently?

Can you just call your case manager and ask if you can leave the country for 6 -12 month?

Yes, I will do that tomorrow. thank you.

Some policies allow you to stay in another country for some period of time as long as you receive a regular care/treatment there.

The best approach is to always be up front with the insurance company in a situation like this. If you explain the situation I doubt they would use this as a pre-text to terminate benefits. They concerns with travel always related to disruption in your treatment etc. If you have a stable situation in terms of treatment, then I can’t see why they would give you problems with this as long as show them you have taken steps for continuity of treatment while you are overseas. Ideally you want to have a doctor that will see you in the new country and report back to your doctor here in Canada. I would recommend having this all figured out so when you discuss with the insurance company you can address any concerns they have.

Each policy has clauses that speak to travel and living out of country so you would start with that and go from there.

David Brannen

Disability Lawyer with Resolute Legal

The response posted above is based on the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliabile manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with a lawyer, fully explain your situation, and allow the lawyer enough time to research the applicable law and facts required to give an adequate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full one-on-one discussion with a lawyer should be done before taking any any action. The information posted on this forum is available to the viewing public and is not intended to create a lawyer client relationship with any person. If you want one-on-one advice, please click here to request a free consultation or call toll free 1-877-282-5188 to speak with a member with our disability claim support team.

1 Like

Buyouts don’t make sense in these situations because the insurance company has no incentive to do this type of deal. They are better to just terminate your benefits because you are leaving the country. I would not bring up the issue of a buyout in a situation like this as it will raise many red flags for the insurance company.

David Brannen

Disability Lawyer with Resolute Legal

The response posted above is based on the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliabile manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with a lawyer, fully explain your situation, and allow the lawyer enough time to research the applicable law and facts required to give an adequate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full one-on-one discussion with a lawyer should be done before taking any any action. The information posted on this forum is available to the viewing public and is not intended to create a lawyer client relationship with any person. If you want one-on-one advice, please click here to request a free consultation or call toll free 1-877-282-5188 to speak with a member with our disability claim support team.

1 Like