Loss of over $600/m of my CF Pension Bridge Benefit to give LTD insurance my CPP Disability

Hi Cheryl, my husband is experiencing the exact same issues, I have notified my mpp, lodging a complaint with the ombudsman for the ltd company. The ltd company is not budging re the back payment of the bridge and state the bridge payment with the military is separate from the ltd and not associated with it. So frustrating….I have a sick husband at home who is receiving 70% of his income with ltd and now his bridge has been removed from his military pension due to cpp approval. It is absolutely ridiculous!!! Any new news on this front !

I did receive a stupid answer just detailed the the corporate answer from govt and ombudsman for insurance coy. I think time to put on the pressure like a class action. I’ll keep you informed. Totally unfair!

Cherylynn Hunt :grinning:

I have been through the same…it is very unfair but again no one is worried about the injured vet!!! They are all selfish as far as I am concerned!! Yes please do Cheryl!!! Thanks for responding! Have a great evening!!

Hi Cherylnn. How did you make out with your case. Where you able to get the legal help you needed to get compensated for the error of Sunlife.

I am a retired federal public servant as of August 24, 2024 when I began receiving the Government of Canada Pensions also known as Superannuation. I worked a total 35 years. I am currently age 60 and should be receiving a bridge benefit up to the age of 65. Shortly after my retirement my CPP Disability kicked in. I was never advised I would lose the bridge benefit until almost a year after the fact. I was advised by the pension center that I would have to pay back nearly 1 year of bridge benefit I received while collecting disability. At no time was I ever advised by either the pension centre or CPP that I would lose my bridge amount. It’s worth $1100 dollars gross a month. Pretty significant. I am also in the middle of a divorce. This will cause complications in my divorce, and less money for my wife and I. I have checked with my union PIPSC and advocacyteam@federalretirees.ca. I am sceptical if they can be of help. There must be a way to get some legal help so I don’t have to pay this huge sum of money back and loose such a significant amount of money that I have been banking on for the past year. The government can be so negligent. They don’t mind you having to go through financial hardship paying money back to them from their error. Apparently this is a common error that the Pension Center advise retirees to pay back money after the fact. I was told this by one of their compensation advisors. According to them it is my fault. But how can I be at fault if the Government has never told me about this complication. If I could get some legal help I think it would be good for me and for the many others who will fall into this trap into the future. Government can be so incompetent, non caring and create hardship for people. It’s not right! They need to be made accountable.

I am on LTD and CPPD. I have a work pension I am eligible to take from a previous employer at either age 55, 60 or 65. If I take it before 65 the LTD insurer would be able to deduct every dollar so absolutely makes no sense to take it before 65. My question is I know I signed off on a lot of Service Canada forms for CPPD but these pension T4’s are CRA. How does the LTD insurer know you are taking a pension unless you self disclose the information?

Harry, have not been looking into it further at this time. I keep getting the run around from all angles. I would like to discuss with a class action lawyer though! There is definitely something wrong.

They probably won’t find out but if they do they could cut you off.